From: Preston Cody <codeman@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-installer] The new overhauled Gentoo Linux Installer needs testing
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 06:07:24
1 Calling all testers!
2 I have previously discussed the overhaul that GLI has undergone to
3 make the installer more interactive. As some of you know, a release
4 is approaching, and the overhaul is just now becoming stable again.
5 gli-dialog is functional again and much improved to the version
6 released in 2006.1. However, this was a major rewrite of a lot of
7 code and i'm quite certain that tons of bugs exist in the frontend
8 alone. I personally don't have enough time before the release to go
9 through and find them all. If you have vmware or other equivalent
10 emulator installed and don't mind pawing through trying to break
11 gli-dialog, here are the instructions for getting the overhaul
12 snapshot:
13
14 boot the 2006.1 livecd (2007.0 test cds will be avail soon for
15 testing, but not yet).
16 open a terminal (in Applications >> Accessories).
17 sudo su -
18 cat /opt/installer/misc/getgli
19 copy the wget line except change the ending. it should read
20 wget http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/gli/snapshots/gli-current.tar.bz2
21 tar xvfj gli-current.tar.bz2
22 cd gli-overhaul/src/fe/dialog
23 ./gli-dialog.py
24
25 for testing the gtkfe just replace the last two lines with cd
26 gli-overhaul/src/fe/gtk and ./gtkfe.py
27 please try to go through gli-dialog as thoroughly as you can (advanced
28 mode shows many screens otherwise hidden).
29
30 I will try to make the language files for gli-dialog soon so that
31 there is a chance of having internationalization this release. Any
32 offers to translate?
33
34 Thanks in advance to all testers,
35 -Codeman