From: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:36:25

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 22:35, Eric Sammer wrote:
> > > So, let's change that. What can releng do to help out with the > > installer project? I would like to work hand-in-hand with the > > installer project and work towards a Gentoo installer for mid-2005. > > Is this doable? > > I think so. I feel like the interest is picking up and more and more > people are wanting to get involved. To me, this says we're doing > something right. I know it's a slow "right," but it's better than a > fast "wrong," in my opinion. ;) >
Great. I downloaded the code snapshot, and although not too much is there, an excellent framework is in place. I agree with your opinion, waiting for something good is always the right thing to do :)
> My gut tells me our main hurdle (in relation to things that we'd need > to coordinate on) is going to be working out the installer / livecd > integration. We've talked about this in installer channels like this > list and #gentoo-installer and have some ideas how the impact could > remain minimal, but I'd like to hear some ideas from releng who > aren't tainted by what we've already been discussing. To be honest, > our needs aren't exactly minimal - we need python, some extra C > libraries and python bindings, network support, maybe even support > for netbooting as we get into the automated deployment areas. The > goal is to not force anyone in Gentoo land to use the installer - it > should be an option only. >
Yeah, livecd integration of anything is always tricky. What kind of LiveCD are you thinking of using? I am using a beta KDE LiveCD atm that works perfectly. We also have the standard minimal/ universal LiveCDs. Tell me what you need and I can get it to you. As for the installer's needs, we already cover most of those, so no worries.
> The best we can do is keep a tight contact with each other. I'll join > the releng lists, if that's acceptable to you (zhen) and lurk so I > can get a better picture of what you folks are up to. >
Sure thing! I will start lurking in the #gentoo-installer channel.
> Thanks again for "reaching out," John. It's nice to work with a team > that acts like a team. >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>