From: Eric Sammer <esammer@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:35:42
John Davis wrote:

> Installer folk (I am not sure who all of you are atm) -
Primarily, it's tseng, spyderous, npmccallum, samyron, klieber, and myself. Regular contributors, commenters, cheerleaders, and bad-idea-pointer-out-ers are cshields, port001, ciaranm, method, and a few others (sorry if I missed anyone - I'm going from memory).
> Although the installer project is listed as a releng subproject, I > cannot remember a time when we have actually coordinated our efforts!
Indeed. We've spoken (briefly) about how we might be able to integrate some of our efforts to work toward a common goal, but (speaking for myself only now) I think we wanted to solidify a number of things before we started dragging other teams in. We just didn't want to waste anyone's time. Our current goal was to be able to produce a beta quality chunk of code that met the original design and stated goals. I think that we're coming up on the time when we'll need to coordinate with our friendly releng cohorts and work out things like, well, "release engineering."
> > So, let's change that. What can releng do to help out with the installer > project? I would like to work hand-in-hand with the installer project > and work towards a Gentoo installer for mid-2005. Is this doable?
I think so. I feel like the interest is picking up and more and more people are wanting to get involved. To me, this says we're doing something right. I know it's a slow "right," but it's better than a fast "wrong," in my opinion. ;) My gut tells me our main hurdle (in relation to things that we'd need to coordinate on) is going to be working out the installer / livecd integration. We've talked about this in installer channels like this list and #gentoo-installer and have some ideas how the impact could remain minimal, but I'd like to hear some ideas from releng who aren't tainted by what we've already been discussing. To be honest, our needs aren't exactly minimal - we need python, some extra C libraries and python bindings, network support, maybe even support for netbooting as we get into the automated deployment areas. The goal is to not force anyone in Gentoo land to use the installer - it should be an option only. The best we can do is keep a tight contact with each other. I'll join the releng lists, if that's acceptable to you (zhen) and lurk so I can get a better picture of what you folks are up to. Thanks again for "reaching out," John. It's nice to work with a team that acts like a team. -- Eric Sammer Gentoo Linux -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] installer/ releng coordination John Davis <zhen@g.o>