From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] a few different questions
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:25:52
Kurt Lieber wrote:
> Have you read the requirements doc that esammer put together? It answers > many/most of your questions. > > > >
That first doc was especially informative. I'd seen the last two, but not the first.
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:16:27AM -0600 or thereabouts, Andrew Gaffney wrote: > >>1. I've heard that the core installer will be written in Python. Is this >>true? > > That's the current plan, yes. > >>2. Whether Python or not, will real-time frontends have to be written the >>same language as the core installer, > > No. > >>3. Will the core installer have plugin capabilities (e.g. user-created >>configuration/installation steps), either scripted (bash) or coded (Python >>or whatever)? > > Not sure, but I don't think it's currently planned to have a plugin > interface for the back end.
For example, with the current CVS version of GLIS, you can create bash scripts that the installer will run before or after certain steps in the install process. Even if seldom used, it would be a handy (and easy to code) feature of GLI.