From: gnul <nullchar@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Application server for JEE
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 06:09:06
1 On 10/10/06, David Herron <David.Herron@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Because we, at Sun, don't test on Gentoo some on the
3 > team were (and are) worried that some niggling incompatibility at the
4 > Linux level might cause a behavior difference in Java.
5
6 This statement arouses my curiosity. It seems that because you can
7 "tweak the Linux level" (meaning: tweak the underlying OS libraries
8 and kernel), one would want to test java (compiler and JVM) on this
9 platform.
10
11 As part of a test suite, you could try and hinder the performance of a
12 JVM by modifying compiler flags and kernel parameters. On the same
13 token, you could try and maximize the performance (for various goals)
14 of a JVM by different modifications.
15
16 Then, with these results, a sort of performance matrix could be
17 created showing the particular kernel parameters against various
18 performance goals (such as flops, or graphics, or EE beans, or servlet
19 load, etc).
20
21 I am not suggesting Sun should do this work, but I am suggesting that
22 Gentoo seems to be an ideal platform (on any/all supported hardware)
23 to "tune" java to maximum performance, depending on one's goals.
24
25 -gnul
26 --
27 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list