From: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Want to affect how JSRs are developed?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:54:36
1 On 4/24/07, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 21:30 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
3 > > On 4/22/07, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > From what I have seen and heard that relationship ended some time ago. I
6 > > > do not believe any Sun peeps are committing to apache/jakarta projects.
7 > >
8 > > jakarta has been split into top level projects
9 >
10 > Not sure about that statement. Jakarta projects like tomcat have been
11 > moved to top level apache projects now. Jakarta is like an incubator for
12 > applications before they become top level/apache projects.
13
14 this happens in the incubator project now
15
16 > > there is plenty of activity elsewhere at apache involving committers
17 > > with links to sun. see for example
18 > > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/river.html,
19 > > http://db.apache.org/jdo/, http://shale.apache.org/ (i could do on but
20 > > won't). however, i'm not sure how many of those work on apache code as
21 > > part of their job.
22 >
23 > That was my point. To the best of my understanding very few if any Sun
24 > employees contribute to Apache/Jakarta projects.
25
26 i know of a reasonable number but i'm not sure how many of these are
27 employed by sun to work on these projects full time. apache is a good
28 forum to develop applications which balance contributions between
29 different corporations. sun still contributes to a number of these and
30 has a long history of supporting apachecons, donating hardware and so
31 on.
32
33 > Sun employees
34 > contributing to the FOSS java world are doing so via java.net or what
35 > ever that's called.
36
37 AIUI that's the primary mechanism by which sun develops the community
38 open source it leads. it's somewhere between apache and eclipse in
39 social organization but is run by sun.
40
41 > Pretty sure it's not part of the JCP but might be.
42
43 AIUI the JCP is a an organisation founded by sun but run at arm's
44 length. decisions are taken by two committees representing the
45 membership. there are elections but the structure favours incumbents
46 and major industrial players. apache is one of the incumbent major
47 players. sun has a special position in that it is a permanent member
48 and has a veto.
49
50 membership is free to individuals. corporations pay.
51
52 the JCP did not start out as a particularly open organisation but has
53 come a long way after significant pressure by apache and others. the
54 JCP is in the middle of a process to re-examine the way that new
55 specifications are developed.
56
57 apache's position is well known to all the players. however, opinions
58 from other FOSS folks haven't really been heard. if people can stand
59 the NDAs, they could sign up as members and work inside the system or
60 just make a noise (sun is really focussed on GNU/linux ATM).
61
62 > > J2EE1.4 (2.4) RI contains tomcat but i don't think there's a separate
63 > > RI for the servlet container specification
64 >
65 > Ok, then Tomcat is the reference up to Servlet API 2.4/JSP API 2.0.
66 > Still pretty sure that is not the case for Tomcat 6.x Servlet API
67 > 2.5/JSP API 2.1.
68
69 the RI for 2.5 is glassfish
70
71 > > > Seems there were some differences there amongst developers, and it has
72 > > > been pretty much completely severed.
73 > >
74 > > most of the 3.x/4.x tomcat developers have moved onto new open source
75 > > projects. i don't know of any who are working on servlet containers
76 > > anymore outside apache.
77 >
78 > Like other containers? Resin, Jetty, etc?
79
80 nope - new topics or new languages :-)
81
82 > > > I also noticed in glassfish some
83 > > > sun-commons stuff, so not sure if they are duplicating that as well.
84 > >
85 > > most likely that's just part of their effort to open sourcing most of
86 > > their code base
87 >
88 > No it seems to me to be a result of the fork. Now there will be apache
89 > commons stuff and sun commons stuff.
90
91 not sure i'd really describe it as a fork but i'll not push this point
92
93 > > the fork really happened back with the tomcat 3.0 donation. the apache
94 > > implementation has been independent since then.
95 >
96 > No there has been another much more recent fork. Although I am not sure
97 > how much is out in public space. Seems there is a current dispute over
98 > licenses and etc wrt to Harmony
99 > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130574/article.html
100
101 the harmony's story is quite different. sun won't offer apache open
102 source compatible terms. apache is a charity and can only ship open
103 source. sun should have know this.
104
105 > Just to show recent and current rifts. How deep this goes, hard to say,
106 > but seems.
107 >
108 > Seems this stuff started long ago though
109 > http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/10_998071
110
111 this is the original apache-sun agreement over the JCP. it took apache
112 a long time to convince sun that they needed open source.
113 http://java.sys-con.com/read/286924.htm is good from the JCP
114 perspective.
115
116 though it's sometimes a long hard road, sun does listen. now
117 (http://java.sys-con.com/read/299987.htm) is a good opportunity for
118 the wider FOSS community to influence the development of the JCP.
119
120 - robert
121 --
122 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list