From: Dalibor Topic <robilad@×××××.org>
To: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Want to affect how JSRs are developed?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 23:44:29
1 robert burrell donkin wrote:
2
3 > apache's position is well known to all the players. however, opinions
4 > from other FOSS folks haven't really been heard. if people can stand
5 > the NDAs, they could sign up as members and work inside the system or
6 > just make a noise (sun is really focussed on GNU/linux ATM).
7
8 Let's not get too excited: The work on the next version of the JCP is
9 already underway, being carved out behind closed doors between Sun, IBM,
10 Intel, Google, Apache, and the rest of the aristocracy.
11
12 Signing up now to make noise? You'll all make your merry deals without
13 us being able to influence them, anyway, like you all did before. This
14 current JCP system is the one created by 'the Apache compromise', after
15 all, and no one asked for our input back then, either.
16
17 What we can do, is to make sure that come next elections we know for
18 sure what everyone's deeds, rather than pretty talk, are on the JSRs
19 they lead, and make sure that those organizations that don't have a
20 clean slate (i.e. open source RI, open source TCK, creative commons
21 licensed spec, open mailing list, wiki, svn, and all that) on *all*
22 their JSRs don't get re-elected onto the EC, and hopefully someone
23 interested in fixing the system does.
24
25 How about that?
26
27 cheers,