From: Dalibor Topic <robilad@×××××.org>
To: Dalibor Topic <robilad@×××××.org>
Cc: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Want to affect how JSRs are developed?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:59:44
1 Dalibor Topic wrote:
2
3 > How about that?
4
5 I should explain why the tone I used was rather harsh & cynical (and
6 apologize for it).
7
8 The suggestion to join and make noise inside the JCP is not realistic
9 for a couple of reasons:
10
11 * the JCP has no venue in which such noise can be made
12
13 * the JCP has two executive committees (ECs), one for mobile Java, one
14 for the rest, which more or less serves as the playground for big
15 politics inside the JCP between organizations.
16
17 * The ECs get to decide, behind closed doors, what the next version of
18 the JCP will look like.
19
20 * i.e. unless you are on the EC of the JCP *right now*, you have no say
21 in the matter, no matter if you join the JCP tomorrow and sign off NDAs
22 or not.
23
24 * other than being able to vote off a small part of the EC members in
25 the yearly elections,
26 the membership has no way to formally influence the direction where the
27 JCP is going.
28
29 * so, other than joining in droves in order to kick out the EC
30 establishment, there is nothing that joining the JCP would achieve.
31
32 * and the success of that would be rather questionable ... one can't
33 force organisations like IBM, Apache, Sun, etc. to commit to 100%
34 transparency. They'll simply move somewhere else to make their deals.
35
36 * no one can force the spec leads to do the right things, even if the
37 whole EC was replaced instantly.
38
39 In practice, the current JCP system allows the spec leads to run a
40 perfectly transparent JSR, with an open source implementation, TCK and
41 specs without clickthoughs, like Doug Lea did for the concurrency JSR.
42 The problem is that only a handful of spec leads are able to make such
43 things happen.
44
45 Fortunately, there has been a recent strong trend among spec leads to
46 work towards transparency, though, and in general there has been a trend
47 towards open source RIs. I see the current results of the java.net poll
48 as a confirmation for those spec leads that they are moving in the right
49 direction, and I'm very happy to see them lead by example, and work on
50 turning the system around from the inside.
51
52 I don't think that the confrontational 'let's make noise inside the JCP'
53 approach would work for us who aren't on the EC, and that's pretty much
54 everyone.
55
56 What works, in my experience, is changing the environment from the
57 outside in which the JCP EC and its members operate, such that their
58 interests and the interests of the Java & GNU/Linux communites are more
59 closely aligned, and encouraging good behaviour.
60
61 It would help if more JCP members started leading by example, and made
62 sure that all the JSRs they participate in have open source RIs, open
63 source TCKs, etc. In that regard ASF could have a role to play inside
64 the JCP in assisting companies that have close ties to it via its
65 membership in the transition, and providing them with advice & guidance
66 on opening up their JSRs.
67
68 The ASF could also try to make 'noise' inside the system, but I fail to
69 see how that could lead to a useful outcome. I'd rather suggest that the
70 ASF gets going working on creating open source TCKs for all RIs
71 implemented under its spec leadership (the whole XML & WS-* stuff,
72 Tomcat, and all that).
73
74 cheers,
75 dalibor topic