From: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Want to affect how JSRs are developed?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:12:58
1 On 4/25/07, Dalibor Topic <robilad@×××××.org> wrote:
2 > Dalibor Topic wrote:
3 >
4 > > How about that?
5 >
6 > I should explain why the tone I used was rather harsh & cynical (and
7 > apologize for it).
8
9 (and apologies for my grammatical obscurity: i meant to suggest either
10 make noise about the right future direction for the JCP, or join up
11 and vote. still, at least my mistakes produced some interesting
12 comments.)
13
14 <snip>valid points</snip>
15
16 > * no one can force the spec leads to do the right things, even if the
17 > whole EC was replaced instantly.
18
19 this one is solvable. spec leads just need to be forced to issue
20 public licenses up front at the start of the process rather than
21 relying on hub-and-spoke contracts with participants.
22
23 > In practice, the current JCP system allows the spec leads to run a
24 > perfectly transparent JSR, with an open source implementation, TCK and
25 > specs without clickthoughs, like Doug Lea did for the concurrency JSR.
26 > The problem is that only a handful of spec leads are able to make such
27 > things happen.
28
29 +1
30
31 > Fortunately, there has been a recent strong trend among spec leads to
32 > work towards transparency, though, and in general there has been a trend
33 > towards open source RIs. I see the current results of the java.net poll
34 > as a confirmation for those spec leads that they are moving in the right
35 > direction, and I'm very happy to see them lead by example, and work on
36 > turning the system around from the inside.
37
38 +1
39
40 > I don't think that the confrontational 'let's make noise inside the JCP'
41 > approach would work for us who aren't on the EC, and that's pretty much
42 > everyone.
43
44 +1
45
46 but FOSS people setting out better ways to run standards processes may
47 well make a difference. in particular, the downstream perspective is
48 completely missing from the current debate.
49
50 > What works, in my experience, is changing the environment from the
51 > outside in which the JCP EC and its members operate, such that their
52 > interests and the interests of the Java & GNU/Linux communites are more
53 > closely aligned, and encouraging good behaviour.
54 >
55 > It would help if more JCP members started leading by example, and made
56 > sure that all the JSRs they participate in have open source RIs, open
57 > source TCKs, etc. In that regard ASF could have a role to play inside
58 > the JCP in assisting companies that have close ties to it via its
59 > membership in the transition, and providing them with advice & guidance
60 > on opening up their JSRs.
61
62 all that's needed is a good, well explained model: it's doesn't need
63 to be apache doing the talking or done in private. almost anyone who
64 has been deeply involved with an open source project (or the IEFT or
65 W3C) for a number of years could mentor a specification lead about
66 running a successful an open process.
67
68 > The ASF could also try to make 'noise' inside the system, but I fail to
69 > see how that could lead to a useful outcome.
70
71 apache's been doing this for the most part of a decade with only mixed success
72
73 > I'd rather suggest that the
74 > ASF gets going working on creating open source TCKs for all RIs
75 > implemented under its spec leadership (the whole XML & WS-* stuff,
76 > Tomcat, and all that).
77
78 i can't find any spec lead by apache on http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/all
79
80 i agree that there are many specifications which were and are strong
81 influenced by apache ethos. apache has also been home to a lot of
82 reference implementations. but this is personal, not official.
83
84 - robert
85 --
86 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list