From: Matthew Smith <maaattss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 19:48:15
1 Setting the headless-awt USE flag on icedtea-bin worked fine.
2
3 Thank you again for the help.
4
5 On 20 February 2016 at 19:22, James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
6 > On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 18:09:47 +0000
7 > Matthew Smith <maaattss@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 >> I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
10 >> I do not understand why it requires X11.
11 >> After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
12 >> emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
13 >> related to X11.
14 >> Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
15 >> X? I'd rather keep my server headless.
16 >
17 > Set the headless-awt USE flag against icedtea-bin. Note the description.
18 >
19 > Don't install the X backend for AWT, needed by some GUIs
20 > (used to be X flag)
21 >
22 > Admittedly it is unusual to set a flag to *not* install something but
23 > we couldn't really call the flag headful-awt or non-headless-awt. This
24 > name was chosen with input from upstream.
25 >
26 > We stopped using the X flag because in the case of oracle-jdk-bin, both
27 > AWT and JavaFX require X11. We needed to be able to differentiate
28 > between these and we wanted to keep the flags consistent across the
29 > different JVM packages.
30 >
31 > --
32 > James Le Cuirot (chewi)