From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Emerging Tomcat without Eclipse
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 19:22:56
1 On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 18:09:47 +0000
2 Matthew Smith <maaattss@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I now understand that eclipse-ecj is a requirement of Tomcat, however
5 > I do not understand why it requires X11.
6 > After removing the alsa, cups and gtk use flags from icedtea-bin,
7 > emerge still wants to pull in X11 and an assortment of packages
8 > related to X11.
9 > Do you have any ideas on how I can emerge tomcat without bringing in
10 > X? I'd rather keep my server headless.
11
12 Set the headless-awt USE flag against icedtea-bin. Note the description.
13
14 Don't install the X backend for AWT, needed by some GUIs
15 (used to be X flag)
16
17 Admittedly it is unusual to set a flag to *not* install something but
18 we couldn't really call the flag headful-awt or non-headless-awt. This
19 name was chosen with input from upstream.
20
21 We stopped using the X flag because in the case of oracle-jdk-bin, both
22 AWT and JavaFX require X11. We needed to be able to differentiate
23 between these and we wanted to keep the flags consistent across the
24 different JVM packages.
27 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
28 Gentoo Linux Developer