From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: "Jean-Noël Rivasseau" <elvanor@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Slotting jsch?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:00:00
1 On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:38 +0100, Jean-Noël Rivasseau wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I unfortunately discovered today that Eclipse-3.3 won't build against
5 > jsch-0.1.36, although I assumed it would. It builds against 0.1.34.
6 >
7 > Shall I then slot 0.1.34 and 0.1.36? Seems stupid to slot between such
8 > minor version revisions, but since upstream breaks API...
9 > Else I can restrict Eclipse dependency on jsch to 0.1.34 but this will
10 > prevent people to install 0.1.36 - not good.
11 >
12 > Jean-Noël
13 >
14 > PS: the reason it does not compile anymore is that on 0.1.36 one
15 > function can throw an exception whereas it did not before, and Eclipse
16 > code does not expect an exception. I could patch Eclipse but I don't
17 > really want to go that way, because:
18 > 1) I really wouldn't know how to patch exactly and prefer to leave
19 > these stuff to upstream;
20 > 2) It may very well be that a lot of the API has changed.
21
22 Can you check to see how many places in Eclipse would need to be
23 modified. See how many other apps that would benefit from having jsch
24 slotted. Also might check in their vc system to see if they have
25 modified things already for a newer jsch.
26
27 We surely have no problem slotting stuff on the Java front. Lots of
28 stuff is already and likely more stuff with. Very likely jsch is a
29 candidate. If more than just Eclipse could benefit from it.
30
31 If it's only Eclipse and doesn't require major code modifications. Might
32 seriously consider a patch. Prevents us from having to slot. Plus you
33 can provide patch to upstream for future releases. Likely get you some
34 bonus points with upstream. The faster and better you can establish a
35 relationship with upstream. The better your life will be while
36 maintaining Eclipse :)
37
38 FYI, I am about to patch Tomcat per something upstream wouldn't comment
39 on. Redirecting stdout/stdin via System.setErr/setOut. Verses using
40 shell redirection to populate catalina.out. Now that's going pretty much
41 against upstream. A modification they may or may not ever make. In your
42 case, at some point the Eclipse code base will be updated for a newer
43 jsch. So you doing it and contributing that, will help them.
46 William L. Thomson Jr.
47 Gentoo/amd64/Java