From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Cc: ago@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 00:12:33
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 02:02:59AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 07:58:01 -0700
3 > Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I bumped the vanilla-kernel sources yesterday, and deleted some
6 > > obsolete, and known-insecure versions at the same time (i.e. the 3.7
7 > > and 3.8 ebuilds.)
8 >
9 > Thank you for keeping an eye on them; I got into a habit of only
10 > bumping gentoo-sources, so I don't always remind the to do vanilla,
11 > I'll do my best to add it to the habbit in the future.
12 >
13 > > They were added back because they were the last releases marked
14 > > "stable" for some arches.
15 >
16 > Yes, this is actively being checked to avoid that there is no stable
17 > kernel present; if you don't want that to happen then you should make
18 > an individual arrangement with the arch teams, such that they are aware
19 > that the stabilization of this package is individually arranged.
20 >
21 > Since ago does stabilizations for multiple arches, is involved in
22 > security bugs and did the restore on this particular package; I have
23 > added him to CC so he is aware of this discussion going on.
24 >
25 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.kernel/697
26 >
27 > > In thinking about this, that's totally wrong. Either all of these
28 > > ebuilds are marked stable, or none are. And we should really NEVER
29 > > have known buggy ebuilds marked stable for the vanilla kernels, as
30 > > that's just dangerous on many different levels.
31 > >
32 > > So, should I just mark these always stable, or never stable? I don't
33 > > think we should mix the two, as the previous versions are always known
34 > > buggy, and have problems, and shouldn't be used.
35 >
36 > I think it may be a nice idea to have vanilla-sources reflect upstream;
37 > that is, always stable and drop versions which are not.
38
39 Great! But as only the latest version released is "stable", that's all
40 that should stick around, right?
41
42 > If possible we could script it to keep the package unstable the first X
43 > days it is in Portage to keep the stabilization effect in place; that
44 > way Gentoo users are unaffected if something goes wrong the day after
45 > you push a patch, I assume not, but you never know.
46
47 If something goes "wrong" the day after I push a update, I push a new
48 one fixing the problem, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?
49
50 And as these are coming out about 1-2 a week, the timeout before the
51 arch teams could get around to marking things stable seems like a lot of
52 work, for something that isn't really needed at all.
53
54 thanks,
55
56 greg k-h