From: Greg KH <greg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 03:42:04
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 02:45:16AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:13:03 -0700
3 > Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Great! But as only the latest version released is "stable", that's
6 > > all that should stick around, right?
7 >
8 > Tricky decision to make. Do we really want to force people's kernel
9 > sources to unmerge every single time you push a new version? Which on
10 > its own turn, forces them to build and install the new kernel.
11
12 If they are following the vanilla kernels, isn't that what people
13 expect? The latest stable-kernel-of-the-week, as that's what I'm
14 releasing. They don't have to do an update if they don't want to :)
15
16 > > > If possible we could script it to keep the package unstable the
17 > > > first X days it is in Portage to keep the stabilization effect in
18 > > > place; that way Gentoo users are unaffected if something goes wrong
19 > > > the day after you push a patch, I assume not, but you never know.
20 > >
21 > > If something goes "wrong" the day after I push a update, I push a new
22 > > one fixing the problem, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?
23 >
24 > It's not so much about fixing the problem, but rather about the
25 > severity of the issue. If this involves a corruption that corrupts a
26 > large amount of data on well known hardware which the patches were not
27 > tested on, users with such hardware would be affected; if we however
28 > delay our Gentoo users, they wouldn't become affected due to an
29 > upstream problem, unless they intentionally use the ~ keyword
30
31 And how would you find out about these types of issues, unless they get
32 tested on those systems? It's a chicken-and-egg issue. People who want
33 more "stable" releases, follow the gentoo kernels. If you want to track
34 upstream directly, use the vanilla kernels, that's what they are there
35 for.
36
37 > > And as these are coming out about 1-2 a week, the timeout before the
38 > > arch teams could get around to marking things stable seems like a lot
39 > > of work, for something that isn't really needed at all.
40 >
41 > What I meant was to not involve arch teams at all, as per the original
42 > proposal but just have a cron job running somewhere to stabilize the
43 > new versions, as well as to drop older versions.
44
45 A cron job doesn't mean anything (how to stop it?), so you might as well
46 just always either mark them stable or not, as no one is testing them
47 for "stability".
48
49 > The delayed stabilization and delayed dropping from the tree are merely
50 > ideas that I think are in favor of the users; I may be wrong about this
51 > but would like to at least see this discussed, unless everyone agrees
52 > we should completely reflect the current state as listed on kernel.org.
53 >
54 > As you probably know, there are different groups of users where some
55 > run personal laptops or desktops whereas other run a (professional)
56 > server. I think an approach that what would make sense for people
57 > running a secure and stable server might not necessarily make sense for
58 > people running their own laptop or desktop. Not all exploits target
59 > both servers and desktops (eg. they can't get behind router).
60
61 I agree, that's why we have so many different kernel packages.
62
63 > On the other hand, the vanilla-sources ebuilds set
64 > K_SECURITY_UNSUPPORTED="1"; so perhaps we're not even aiming for the
65 > (professional) server people at all and therefore perhaps only the
66 > laptop and desktop users. Or at least, that's how Gentoo Security and
67 > that variable would make it look like; I agree though that it is
68 > inconsistent with how upstream would look at these versions, I
69 > therofore think it should be a good idea to reevaluate said variable if
70 > we are going to change the way we stabilize and drop vanilla-sources.
71
72 I'll leave that alone, as I don't know what that flag means or does,
73 sorry.
74
75 greg k-h