From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:48:21
1 On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 20:42:44 -0700
2 Greg KH <greg@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 02:45:16AM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:13:03 -0700
6 > > Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Great! But as only the latest version released is "stable",
9 > > > that's all that should stick around, right?
10 > >
11 > > Tricky decision to make. Do we really want to force people's kernel
12 > > sources to unmerge every single time you push a new version? Which
13 > > on its own turn, forces them to build and install the new kernel.
14 >
15 > If they are following the vanilla kernels, isn't that what people
16 > expect? The latest stable-kernel-of-the-week, as that's what I'm
17 > releasing. They don't have to do an update if they don't want to :)
18
19 If we don't keep around other ebuilds their sources will unexpectedly
20 unmerge upon a dependency clean; they can only stop it if they see it
21 in the list of packages that will be unmerged, and do something to
22 specifically keep them.
23
24 Feel free to experiment with this happening in your Portage tree.
25
26 > > > > If possible we could script it to keep the package unstable the
27 > > > > first X days it is in Portage to keep the stabilization effect
28 > > > > in place; that way Gentoo users are unaffected if something
29 > > > > goes wrong the day after you push a patch, I assume not, but
30 > > > > you never know.
31 > > >
32 > > > If something goes "wrong" the day after I push a update, I push a
33 > > > new one fixing the problem, so this shouldn't be an issue, right?
34 > >
35 > > It's not so much about fixing the problem, but rather about the
36 > > severity of the issue. If this involves a corruption that corrupts a
37 > > large amount of data on well known hardware which the patches were
38 > > not tested on, users with such hardware would be affected; if we
39 > > however delay our Gentoo users, they wouldn't become affected due
40 > > to an upstream problem, unless they intentionally use the ~
41 > > keyword
42 >
43 > And how would you find out about these types of issues, unless they
44 > get tested on those systems? It's a chicken-and-egg issue. People
45 > who want more "stable" releases, follow the gentoo kernels. If you
46 > want to track upstream directly, use the vanilla kernels, that's what
47 > they are there for.
48
49 Okay, I was just thinking through the possible scenarios of going with
50 this approach; if nobody else reasonably objects we can do that.
51
52 > > > And as these are coming out about 1-2 a week, the timeout before
53 > > > the arch teams could get around to marking things stable seems
54 > > > like a lot of work, for something that isn't really needed at all.
55 > >
56 > > What I meant was to not involve arch teams at all, as per the
57 > > original proposal but just have a cron job running somewhere to
58 > > stabilize the new versions, as well as to drop older versions.
59 >
60 > A cron job doesn't mean anything (how to stop it?), so you might as
61 > well just always either mark them stable or not, as no one is testing
62 > them for "stability".
63
64 The cron job should not apply if the version is masked, had its
65 keywords removed or the ebuild itself removed; this should be trivial
66 to figure out through the Portage API.
67
68 We do have people testing them for stability, as some people run a
69 system with stable keywords whereas other people wan't to be more risky
70 and use the unstable / testing / ... ~ keyword.
71
72 > > On the other hand, the vanilla-sources ebuilds set
73 > > K_SECURITY_UNSUPPORTED="1"; so perhaps we're not even aiming for the
74 > > (professional) server people at all and therefore perhaps only the
75 > > laptop and desktop users. Or at least, that's how Gentoo Security
76 > > and that variable would make it look like; I agree though that it is
77 > > inconsistent with how upstream would look at these versions, I
78 > > therofore think it should be a good idea to reevaluate said
79 > > variable if we are going to change the way we stabilize and drop
80 > > vanilla-sources.
81 >
82 > I'll leave that alone, as I don't know what that flag means or does,
83 > sorry.
84
85 It prints out the following message, which becomes less the case if we
86 stabilize it more; as you said, the kernel is more often released these
87 days and therefore recent security issues are much faster dealt with.
90 ${PN} is UNSUPPORTED by Gentoo Security.
91 This means that it is likely to be vulnerable to recent security issues.
92 For specific information on why this kernel is unsupported, please read:
93 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/security/kernel.xml
96 PS: On a perhaps irrelevant side note, what I find interesting in the
97 above URL is that it lists vanilla-sources as containing rc entries
98 (which would be marked with the ~ keyword) and git-sources as
99 containing daily snapshots; it appears that the rc entries have moved
100 to git-sources and that git-sources no longer does daily snapshots.
103 With kind regards,
104
105 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
106 Gentoo Developer
107
108 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
109 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
110 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D