From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:48:48
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:30:56AM -0400, Mike Pagano wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:58:01AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I bumped the vanilla-kernel sources yesterday, and deleted some
6 > > obsolete, and known-insecure versions at the same time (i.e. the 3.7 and
7 > > 3.8 ebuilds.) They were added back because they were the last releases
8 > > marked "stable" for some arches.
9 > >
10 > > In thinking about this, that's totally wrong. Either all of these
11 > > ebuilds are marked stable, or none are. And we should really NEVER have
12 > > known buggy ebuilds marked stable for the vanilla kernels, as that's
13 > > just dangerous on many different levels.
14 > >
15 > > So, should I just mark these always stable, or never stable? I don't
16 > > think we should mix the two, as the previous versions are always known
17 > > buggy, and have problems, and shouldn't be used.
18 > >
19 > > thanks,
20 > >
21 > > greg k-h
25 > Hi, Greg,
26 >
27 > We hammered out a policy sometime in the past that if you add a new
28 > version for the reasons you did and remove the stable ones (that have
29 > security issues) you can do an auto stable.
30
31 Where was that hammered out? On this list?
32
33 > I have not gone through the commit log to see what happened but here is
34 > an easy example.
35 >
36 > You know the stable version 3.8.4 has a sec bug.
37 > You have a minor point release that fixes this.
38 >
39 > You remove 3.8.4, add 3.8.5 and auto stable for any arch that had a
40 > stable keyword for 3.8.4.
41 >
42 > This should be written down and if it's not that's probably on me as I
43 > am the only kernel person (i think) that was involved in the decision
44 > and is still around.
45
46 But every single stable kernel release I make fixes bugs that some might
47 consider "security" issues. So that means that every single stable
48 release should be marked stable, right?
49
50 We should _never_ have an end-of-life kernel marked stable, that's just
51 asking for trouble.
52
53 > P.S. if 3.8.4 is bad, and we have to go to 3.9 we ask for a quick
54 > "emergency" stabilization effort by the arch teams.
55 >
56 > Let me know if that is clear as mud.
57
58 It's clear, but I feel incorrect :)
59
60 As we can't do anything to these releases to fix problems or "make them
61 more stable", they should either always be unstable, or always be
62 stable, there is no difference.
63
64 thanks,
65