From: Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:31:01
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 07:58:01AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I bumped the vanilla-kernel sources yesterday, and deleted some
5 > obsolete, and known-insecure versions at the same time (i.e. the 3.7 and
6 > 3.8 ebuilds.) They were added back because they were the last releases
7 > marked "stable" for some arches.
8 >
9 > In thinking about this, that's totally wrong. Either all of these
10 > ebuilds are marked stable, or none are. And we should really NEVER have
11 > known buggy ebuilds marked stable for the vanilla kernels, as that's
12 > just dangerous on many different levels.
13 >
14 > So, should I just mark these always stable, or never stable? I don't
15 > think we should mix the two, as the previous versions are always known
16 > buggy, and have problems, and shouldn't be used.
17 >
18 > thanks,
19 >
20 > greg k-h
24 Hi, Greg,
25
26 We hammered out a policy sometime in the past that if you add a new
27 version for the reasons you did and remove the stable ones (that have
28 security issues) you can do an auto stable.
29
30 I have not gone through the commit log to see what happened but here is
31 an easy example.
32
33 You know the stable version 3.8.4 has a sec bug.
34 You have a minor point release that fixes this.
35
36 You remove 3.8.4, add 3.8.5 and auto stable for any arch that had a
37 stable keyword for 3.8.4.
38
39 This should be written down and if it's not that's probably on me as I
40 am the only kernel person (i think) that was involved in the decision
41 and is still around.
42
43 Mike
44
45 P.S. if 3.8.4 is bad, and we have to go to 3.9 we ask for a quick
46 "emergency" stabilization effort by the arch teams.
47
48 Let me know if that is clear as mud.
51 Mike Pagano
52 Gentoo Developer - Kernel Project
53 Gentoo Sources - Lead
54 E-Mail : mpagano@g.o
55 GnuPG FP : EEE2 601D 0763 B60F 848C 9E14 3C33 C650 B576 E4E3
56 Public Key : http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xB576E4E3&op=index