From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Gentoo Kernel meeting
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 03:53:02
1 On 07/05/2018 07:03 AM, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 > Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
3 >
4 > On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, 19:51 M. J. Everitt, <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
7 { ~pruned~ }
8
9 >> I'd like to discuss the possibility of harmonising the bumping and
10 >> stabilisation process across the currently maintained source packages,
11 >> so that, in principle, whilst they may not be fully supported via
12 >> Security Team (we already have disclaimers for this), users choosing to
13 >> opt for, eg. ck-sources, would know that because 90% of the code-base
14 >> has been 'approved' via gentoo-sources (upstream + gentoo patches) that
15 >> any discrepancy due to failure could be quickly narrowed down to the
16 >> patchset, and the relevant maintainer can choose to pursue with their
17 >> specific upstream. The extent to which this is feasible can be debated,
18 >> but if we can establish a basic procedure that is, eg. automated,
19 >> perhaps individual maintainers will want to 'pitch in' if the effort
20 >> required is minimal enough.
21 >> The objective would be to create a obvious 'choice' of "known-good"ish
22 >> kernels that any user could choose from, whilst preserving maintainer
23 >> workflow separation, etc.
26 > not sure to have understand correctly.
27 > you want to stabilize also ck-sources?
28 > there is not only the new patchset but is also using different kernel
29 > eclass function.
30 > I think when we can do stabilization from the Gentoo kernel ci starting to
31 > stabilize also other sources would be a path to consider.
32 >
33 > thanks,
34 > Alice
38 I'd prefer waiting until QA / CI is solid before any
39 discussion to stabilize sys-kernel/ck-sources. I'm not
40 opposed per-se, but there's only so much testing I can do
41 on my own (this is why I need to know the QA / CI tools
42 are working well for several months I think). If there's
43 sufficient testing (to know when things are stable) then
44 sure, I think it might be okay to try for in 1st or 2nd
45 quarter 2019.
46
47 3rd quarter 2018 I'm still "spread thin", and my
48 availability is limited this weekend. In the meantime I'll
49 do what I can to familiarize myself with lava. I'll be
50 using my own infrastructure for testing, and hope to have
51 some practical experience and ideas by the end of July.
52
53 -- kuza