From: Alice Ferrazzi <alice.ferrazzi@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Kernel List <gentoo-kernel@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Gentoo Kernel meeting
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 11:03:32
1 Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
2
3 On Thu, 5 Jul 2018, 19:51 M. J. Everitt, <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
4
5 > On 05/07/18 06:16, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
6 > > Hello everyone,
7 > >
8 > > I would like to start the first Gentoo kernel meeting.
9 > > Please choose the time of the meeting [1]
10 > > If the time is not compatible we can also just discuss it by mail.
11 > >
12 > > Please send any new agenda items as new threads to the gentoo-kernel
13 > list.
14 > >
15 > > The current agenda is as follows.
16 > > - Gentoo kernel ci
17 > > - Use Lava qemu for testing the kernel
18 > > - Add kselftest
19 > > - Start stabilizing with Gentoo kernel CI
20 > > - Add ck-sources to the qemu test
21 > > - Stabilization
22 > > - Automatize the stabilization process
23 > > - keep up with upstream or use any other stabilization system
24 > > current stabilization system is defined here [2]
25 > > and here is the process to stabilize the kernel [3]
26 > > As now we are working to automatize the process.
27 > >
28 > > Please add any other topics, is also possible to discuss directly in
29 > > this thread.
30 > >
31 > > [1] https://doodle.com/poll/6giztg2vuw8wz6kf
32 > > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel#Kernel_stabilization
33 > > [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing#Kernel
34 > >
35 > I'll add my general availability in a separate thread, as well as
36 > confirm via the Doodle - as updating nearly 200 slots is quite a slow
37 > process!!
38 >
39 > I'd like to discuss the possibility of harmonising the bumping and
40 > stabilisation process across the currently maintained source packages,
41 > so that, in principle, whilst they may not be fully supported via
42 > Security Team (we already have disclaimers for this), users choosing to
43 > opt for, eg. ck-sources, would know that because 90% of the code-base
44 > has been 'approved' via gentoo-sources (upstream + gentoo patches) that
45 > any discrepancy due to failure could be quickly narrowed down to the
46 > patchset, and the relevant maintainer can choose to pursue with their
47 > specific upstream. The extent to which this is feasible can be debated,
48 > but if we can establish a basic procedure that is, eg. automated,
49 > perhaps individual maintainers will want to 'pitch in' if the effort
50 > required is minimal enough.
51 > The objective would be to create a obvious 'choice' of "known-good"ish
52 > kernels that any user could choose from, whilst preserving maintainer
53 > workflow separation, etc.
56 not sure to have understand correctly.
57 you want to stabilize also ck-sources?
58 there is not only the new patchset but is also using different kernel
59 eclass function.
60 I think when we can do stabilization from the Gentoo kernel ci starting to
61 stabilize also other sources would be a path to consider.
62
63 thanks,
64 Alice