From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Gentoo Kernel meeting
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 10:51:06
1 On 05/07/18 06:16, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I would like to start the first Gentoo kernel meeting.
5 > Please choose the time of the meeting [1]
6 > If the time is not compatible we can also just discuss it by mail.
7 >
8 > Please send any new agenda items as new threads to the gentoo-kernel list.
9 >
10 > The current agenda is as follows.
11 > - Gentoo kernel ci
12 > - Use Lava qemu for testing the kernel
13 > - Add kselftest
14 > - Start stabilizing with Gentoo kernel CI
15 > - Add ck-sources to the qemu test
16 > - Stabilization
17 > - Automatize the stabilization process
18 > - keep up with upstream or use any other stabilization system
19 > current stabilization system is defined here [2]
20 > and here is the process to stabilize the kernel [3]
21 > As now we are working to automatize the process.
22 >
23 > Please add any other topics, is also possible to discuss directly in
24 > this thread.
25 >
26 > [1] https://doodle.com/poll/6giztg2vuw8wz6kf
27 > [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Kernel#Kernel_stabilization
28 > [3] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing#Kernel
29 >
30 I'll add my general availability in a separate thread, as well as
31 confirm via the Doodle - as updating nearly 200 slots is quite a slow
32 process!!
33
34 I'd like to discuss the possibility of harmonising the bumping and
35 stabilisation process across the currently maintained source packages,
36 so that, in principle, whilst they may not be fully supported via
37 Security Team (we already have disclaimers for this), users choosing to
38 opt for, eg. ck-sources, would know that because 90% of the code-base
39 has been 'approved' via gentoo-sources (upstream + gentoo patches) that
40 any discrepancy due to failure could be quickly narrowed down to the
41 patchset, and the relevant maintainer can choose to pursue with their
42 specific upstream. The extent to which this is feasible can be debated,
43 but if we can establish a basic procedure that is, eg. automated,
44 perhaps individual maintainers will want to 'pitch in' if the effort
45 required is minimal enough.
46 The objective would be to create a obvious 'choice' of "known-good"ish
47 kernels that any user could choose from, whilst preserving maintainer
48 workflow separation, etc.