From: Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:23:52
1 Ryan Viljoen wrote:
2 > If you can spare some space than I think the best way to do this would
3 > be to install Gentoo from your existing Fedora install as Josh
4 > suggested. Than use lshw, lspci and lsusb to manually configure your
5 > own kernel to your hardware requirements without having to worry about
6 > auto detection.
7 >
8 > An interesting point though, when install gentoo on my friends
9 > notebook we had a similar problem of the install CD hanging and not
10 > getting passed a point (during hardware detection) not matter how long
11 > we left it. Luckily I had the 2004.1, 2004.3 and 2005.0 install cd's.
12 > The 2004.1 install CD worked perfectly getting through all the
13 > hardware detection. Once installed an emerge sync and a change in
14 > profile and his install was sorted. So I dont know if you tried
15 > different versions of the gentoo install cd but if not maybe track
16 > down an older on? (2004.1 possibly).
17 >
18 > Other than that I wish you luck. I would also cry if I had to use "the
19 > distro that most wants to be like windows" *sigh* ... hshsh sorry
20 > couldnt resist.
21 >
22 > Cheers
23 > Rav