From: Rob <rob@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] yes to Intel PRO 2100, no to Madwifi
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:20:28
Hello guys,

Well I have decided to concentrate my efforts on my internal mini-pci
card, the Intel PRO2100 WiFi, instead of an external Atheros based
Netgear card.  Part of the decision was based on the fact that my Dell
technician said that this card was superior in range to many cardbus
based devices.  I didn't know that the card even existed in my system
until the tech came to my house.  I thought I had declined it as an
option when I bought the laptop.  Haha.  It works well in Windows-  once
I typed in the giant HEX key for WEP.

So I am wading through the Gentoo procedures required to get it working.
  Fortunately there are ebuilds all set up for me.  I will unmerge all
the Madwifi stuff.  I will wait for Madwifi to mature before I try it
again.  Retrieving distributions from CVS doesn't sound optimal for me.
  I'm not that much of a computer genious, LOL.

One thing I want to do is to eliminate all of the configuration files
that went along with the Madwifi driver and any associated tools.  I
think I saw in the emerge manual some ways to find out what those files
were, or perhaps it was the Gentoo tools.

Sincerely,  Rob