From: mail <lists@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] ethernet issue (e1000)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 02:46:00

I just had a system board replaced on my Thinkpad and now the ethernet
interface does not exist.  The hardware test is fine...

whin I issue lspci, I get this:

02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)

I have the e1000 driver compiled in the kernel.

my /etc/conf.d/net file is this:

config_eth0=( "dhcp" )
modules=( "ifconfig" )
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
config_ESSID=( "dhcp" )
dhcpcd_ESSID="-t 5"

and when I issue /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start, I get this:

# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
 * Starting eth0
 *   Bringing up eth0
 *     dhcp
 *       network interface eth0 does not exist
 *       Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)

What could be happening?
Does this interface support 100mb? or is it gigabit only?

Actually, I would love to find a gnome gui that my user can use to
manage both the eth0 and wireless eth1 interfaces.  I have not found
working examples of this anywhere yet. any sugesstions?