From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-licenses@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-licenses] The GPL-2, modified works, and ChangeLog files
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:40:00
1 On 19 Nov 2014 09:36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > The GPL-2 says in clause 2.a) about distribution of modified versions:
3 >
4 > a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
5 > stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
6 >
7 > Now current plans for the transition to git include dropping of
8 > ChangeLog files from the tree distributed to users via rsync (and
9 > presumably also from snapshot tarballs). The question is if the GPL-2
10 > allows us to do that, or if we have to add ChangeLog files generated
11 > from the git log.
12 >
13 > The GPL's model seems to assume the simple situation that there is
14 > a single author (= copyright holder) who distributes an "original
15 > version" of a program, and then another person who modifies it and
16 > distributes that "modified version" under clause 2).
17 >
18 > How does this translate to our situation with many developers
19 > committing to a central repository? Is the latest version of the tree
20 > the "original work", with a collective copyright of all contributors?
21 > Or is each commit a "modified version" of the previous? I believe that
22 > in the first case (distribution of the original work) modification
23 > notices wouldn't be needed at all, but that in the second case the GPL
24 > would require them.
25
26 there are a number of GNU projects that are automatically generating ChangeLog
27 files from their git history, and none of the scripts they have to do this makes
28 any note of this kind. granted, they usually have FSF copyright assignment in
29 place, but that isn't the case for all of them. i would also note that all
30 our files carry Gentoo copyrights only, not specific people.
31
32 in general, i've never seen anyone do this nor anyone ask for it (including
33 large commercial companies that redistributed). even projects that fork
34 existing ones and modify the files don't put notices (including date stamps
35 ffs) in every single one. how many forks are out there of
36 binutils/gcc/gdb/linux ?
37
38 reading this more strictly, you could argue that the patch itself is the
39 original work and the act of modifying the content after the fact by someone
40 else is a derivative work. that means every edit would require notice.
41
42 all in all, it's a non issue for us imo.
43 -mike