From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-licenses@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-licenses] The GPL-2, modified works, and ChangeLog files
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 08:36:16
1 The GPL-2 says in clause 2.a) about distribution of modified versions:
2
3 a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
4 stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
5
6 Now current plans for the transition to git include dropping of
7 ChangeLog files from the tree distributed to users via rsync (and
8 presumably also from snapshot tarballs). The question is if the GPL-2
9 allows us to do that, or if we have to add ChangeLog files generated
10 from the git log.
11
12 The GPL's model seems to assume the simple situation that there is
13 a single author (= copyright holder) who distributes an "original
14 version" of a program, and then another person who modifies it and
15 distributes that "modified version" under clause 2).
16
17 How does this translate to our situation with many developers
18 committing to a central repository? Is the latest version of the tree
19 the "original work", with a collective copyright of all contributors?
20 Or is each commit a "modified version" of the previous? I believe that
21 in the first case (distribution of the original work) modification
22 notices wouldn't be needed at all, but that in the second case the GPL
23 would require them.
24
25 Ulrich