From: Chema Alonso Josa <nimiux@g.o>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] How to apply live swank melpa update? (SBCL, ASDF 3.1.5 (?), GNU Emacs 26.0.91)
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 20:03:14
1 On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 07:25:38AM +0000, Akater wrote:
2 > How do I apply swank update coming with GNU Emacs SLIME melpa update without
3 > restarting Lisp?
4 >
5 > Initially I just tried to
6 >
7 > (asdf:load-system "swank")
8 >
9 > which signalled a SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR while attempting to WRITE-FILE
10 > located at a previous slime directory which directory does not exist
11 > anymore after SLIME update.
12 >
13 > Restarting SLIME signalled the same error, only now I'm not connected to
14 > Lisp image at all. At this point, I don't know what to do sans
15 > restarting Lisp which would be unwelcome.
16 >
17 > What should I have done and what do I do now? (Clearly, at least I
18 > should have started a different SLIME connection for this attempt at
19 > restart.)
20 >
21 > Note regarding ASDF version: Gentoo says ASDF 3.1.5, manual shipped with
22 > current SBCL (1.4.5) says 3.3.1. Without connection to Lisp, I can't say
23 > much more.
24
25 Don't know if the following would have helped at your end:
26
27 (asdf:clear-source-registry)
28
29 and then
30
31 (require :swank)
32
33 Regarding SBCL at gentoo, we use the latest version of ASDF because
34 SBCL bumps versions of ASDF not very frequently in their releases.
35
36 Regards.