From: Marijn <hkBst@g.o>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] sbcl-1.1.2 and other things
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:02:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 14-12-12 14:24, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
5 > Hello *,
6
7 Hi Andrey,
8
9 > Things from the lisp overlay migrate to the main tree very slowly.
10 > And even in the overlay some important new versions are absent.
11 > sbcl-1.1.* for example.
12
13 Indeed! None of the few Gentoo developers interested in lisp seem to
14 have enough time to spare to work much on Common Lisp.
15
16 > Today, I committed to the main tree
17 >
18 > asdf-2.26 gentoo-init-1.0 sbcl-1.1.2
19 >
20 > All this stuff is pmasked. I am not a lisp expert myself, I only
21 > use lisp to compile maxima and fricas. sbcl seems the best lisp for
22 > this, it is fast and problem-free. So, I am really interested in
23 > having recent versions of sbcl in the tree.
24
25 Maybe you should consider expanding your knowledge of Common Lisp if
26 you rely on software written in it a lot. None of the (other) few
27 Gentoo developers interested in lisp seem to have enough of an
28 investment/interest in Common Lisp at the moment to even keep SBCL
29 up-to-date.
30
31 > Also, it seems that there is some inconsistency in gentoo-init and
32 > asdf which are available in the main tree; in the overlay, things
33 > have been fixed. Moving this stuff to the main tree is, I think,
34 > high priority.
35
36 The only reason CL stuff is moving in the overlay is because some
37 non-developers, mostly Stelian Ionescu, are interested enough to work
38 on it there. Unfortunately we haven't been able to recruit any of the
39 CL contributors.
40
41 > gentoo-init-1.0 is from the overlay, practically verbatim (I had to
42 > do minor changes to make it co-exist with 0.1 in the tree).
43 >
44 > asdf is from the overlay (version bumped), but there is a problem:
45 > common-lisp-3 eclass is not in the tree. I simply inserted the
46 > needed stuff from this eclass to the asdf ebuild. Yes, I know, this
47 > is not the right thing to do. But it seems that nobody works on
48 > moving this eclass to the main tree, and this blocks all further
49 > progress.
50 >
51 > sbcl is also from the overlay, version bumped. sbcl-1.1.2
52 > successfully compiles maxima and fricas on x86 and amd64, and
53 > everything seems quite good.
54 >
55 > So, if anybody has objections against moving these things to the
56 > main tree, please, say so now, while this stuff is hard-masked. If
57 > I'll hear no objections after some period, I'll unmask it.
58
59 No objections from my side as long as you add yourself to the
60 maintainer fields in some way. Perhaps by joining the common-lisp herd?
61
62 Marijn
63