From: Akater <nuclearspace@×××××.com>
To: Crystalsun <crystalsun@××××××××××.com>, "gentoo-lisp\\@l.g.o" <gentoo-lisp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] Emerge in Common Lisp
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 09:59:32
1 Crystalsun <crystalsun@××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Anyone thought about implementing Emerge in Common Lisp?
4 I did. I know some other people did, too.
5
6 > I guess it could be useful due to the interactiveness Common Lisp
7 > provides
8 Agree.
9
10 > if emerge was written in Common Lisp, it could be possible to
11 > interactively debug the error and continue the process
12 Not neccesarily. ebuilds are still ebuilds, namely Unix shell
13 scripts. Most of my problems come from them not from emerge per se.
14
15 > I know it may sound ambitious
16 It does.
17
18 > but at least it seems like an interesting idea to me, would be great
19 > if anyone has thoughts on this topic
20 Portage is updated regularly. EAPI evolves. Try estimating how many
21 man-hours are put into it. That will give you some perspective on
22 man-hours needed to maintain another implementation. Make some research
23 on existing attempts (Paludis).
24
25 The most promising way in my amateur-ish opinion would be to localise
26 some task which Portage is slow at, and try to reimplement it (100%
27 correctly!) for immediate and hopefully long-lasting gains. At least
28 that could provide the project with some momentum and attention early
29 on.
30
31 Another attractive goal would be the ability to resolve
32 dependencies interactively. I'm not even where to start with this
33 though. Maybe if user could increase the backtracking threshold
34 (emerge --backtrack=n) without restarting the whole thing, that would
35 already be worth it, who knows. That would require lazy search of some
36 kind.