From: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] maxima-5.33.0
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 21:38:53
1 On 19:52 Sun 06 Apr , grozin@g.o wrote:
2 > I've committed maxima-5.33.0 ebuild to Gentoo. The running times (in
3 > seconds) of the testsuite with various lisps on 2 computers, ~amd64 and
4 > ~x86, are
5 >
6 > amd64 x86
7 > sbcl-1.1.16 171 196
8 > cmucl-20e 248
9 > gcl-2.6.10 216 249
10 > ccl-1.9 308 323
11 > ecl-13.5.1 618 581
12 > clisp-2.49 1013 861
13 >
14 > cmucl is not available on x86_64.
15 > clisp on my x86 computer uses pari-2.3.5 to do multiprecision
16 > arithmetics; on my amd64 computer, I have pari-2.5.4, clisp does not
17 > compile with pari-2.5, and is therefore slower.
20 Hi Mr. Andrey,
21
22 thanks for the heads-up :) gcl is still so good in benchmarks it seems. By the
23 way, generally speaking, as you know the status of the lisp interpreters in the
24 tree better than anyone at the moment, could you make a list of the most
25 important issues you have related to lisp stuff, that trouble you when working
26 with your sci-mathematics packages and reply back here?
27
28 The lisp team is highly understaffed the last years, we all know about that and
29 speaking for myself my free time for Gentoo is very limited but still in this
30 mess we have to try making some progress. I believe it's time to put back Lisp
31 in staffing needs and try finding new people to recruit.
34 Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
35 ( Gentoo Lisp Project )