From: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] common-lisp.eclass cleanup
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:40:53
On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 12:05:42PM +0200, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
>> I'll try to explain how CL packages work: >> >> 1) a CL package installs exactly one directory under >> /usr/share/common-lisp/source. This is contained in the variable >> $CLPACKAGE and it defaults to $PN. Exception: app-emacs/slime installs a >> package named "swank" > >The code shows this is not really true. I couldn't find where a non-default >use was possible. You probably need to set: > >[[ CLPACKAGE == "" ]] && CLPACKAGE=${PN}
there's no need for this construct because setting CLPACKAGE in the ebuild is only meant as an override of the default value
>or slime won't be able to install swank. > >> 2) a CL package contains one or more ASDF files(.asd). The variable >> $CLSYSTEMS contains the names of those systems and defaults to $PN >> because in the simplest case there is only one .asd >> The .asd files usually are contained in the toplevel of the source >> directory and get symlinked into /usr/share/common-lisp/systems > >The code shows this is not really true. Therefore you cannot set $CLPACKAGE >and expect it to be used by common-lisp_src_install in its call to >common-lisp-system-symlink. Other eclasses use a construct like this: > >[[ CLSYSTEMS == "" ]] && CLSYSTEMS=${PN}
same as before
>> The eclass has three explicit "public" functions: >> >> 1) common-lisp-install(): must receive at least one argument. It installs >> files or directories(recursively) into /usr/share/common-lisp/source >> >> 2) common-lisp-system-symlink(): when called with no arguments, it >> installs the systems contained in $CLSYSTEMS. The system names must be >> relative paths. Example: CLSYSTEMS="foo1 foo2 src/bar" >> When called with some arguments, it installs those systems, ignoring >> $CLSYSTEMS > >If I understand correctly the symlinks make it appear like CLPACKAGE contains >what CLSYSTEMS contains. What is the point of that or why does it need to be >that way?
most CL packages contain precisely one .asd file, named exactly as the package; for example, kmrcl-1.97 contains only the kmrcl.asd system. Having CLPACKAGE=$PN and CLSYSTEMS=$PN is a good default
>> 3) do-debian-credits(): taken from common-lisp-common.eclass, since I've >> dropped the inheritance on it > >Which packages use this
cl-aima, cl-irc, cl-sql, png, rt and split-sequence
> and what's the point of doing it?
as you know, many CL devs don't do releases(or not even versioning) so mkennedy thought well of using the snapshots made by Debian developers instead of making his own snapshots. It's meant as a way to credit Debian for this -- Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-lisp] common-lisp.eclass cleanup "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>