From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@×××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] common-lisp.eclass cleanup
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:13:01

Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> hello, I've attached a cleaned up version of common-lisp.eclass. The > purpose of this change is to remove dependency on > dev-lisp/common-lisp-controller and to help reduce code duplication in > ebuilds.
Thank you very much Stelian.
> I'll try to explain how CL packages work: > > 1) a CL package installs exactly one directory under > /usr/share/common-lisp/source. This is contained in the variable > $CLPACKAGE and it defaults to $PN. Exception: app-emacs/slime installs a > package named "swank"
The code shows this is not really true. I couldn't find where a non-default use was possible. You probably need to set: [[ CLPACKAGE == "" ]] && CLPACKAGE=${PN} or slime won't be able to install swank.
> 2) a CL package contains one or more ASDF files(.asd). The variable > $CLSYSTEMS contains the names of those systems and defaults to $PN > because in the simplest case there is only one .asd > The .asd files usually are contained in the toplevel of the source > directory and get symlinked into /usr/share/common-lisp/systems
The code shows this is not really true. Therefore you cannot set $CLPACKAGE and expect it to be used by common-lisp_src_install in its call to common-lisp-system-symlink. Other eclasses use a construct like this: [[ CLSYSTEMS == "" ]] && CLSYSTEMS=${PN}
> 3) in order to find the systems, ASDF must be aware of the > /usr/share/common-lisp/systems directory, which must be added to the > list contained in the variable asdf:*central-registry*; > dev-lisp/gentoo-init takes care of setting up everything for the user > > 4) to load a system, one must start a Lisp and eval > (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op <system>) > > > The eclass has three explicit "public" functions: > > 1) common-lisp-install(): must receive at least one argument. It installs > files or directories(recursively) into /usr/share/common-lisp/source > > 2) common-lisp-system-symlink(): when called with no arguments, it > installs the systems contained in $CLSYSTEMS. The system names must be > relative paths. Example: CLSYSTEMS="foo1 foo2 src/bar" > When called with some arguments, it installs those systems, ignoring > $CLSYSTEMS
If I understand correctly the symlinks make it appear like CLPACKAGE contains what CLSYSTEMS contains. What is the point of that or why does it need to be that way?
> 3) do-debian-credits(): taken from common-lisp-common.eclass, since I've > dropped the inheritance on it
Which packages use this and what's the point of doing it?
> and an exported function, common-lisp_src_install, which is sufficient > for a good share of CL packages in the tree > > > if there are no objections, I'll commit the eclass next evening - Oct. 13

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-lisp] common-lisp.eclass cleanup Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@×××××××××××.net>