From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:00:20
Hardave Riar wrote:
> Jason Pepas wrote: > >> How can I do this? Would this require some combination of catalyst and >> a cross compiling toolchain?
To elaborate on this a bit further for informational purposes, this is theoretically possible. However, too many packages in portage don't take very well to cross-compiling yet. A large chunk of "emerge system" would fail, for example.
> You would use catalyst, but last I tried to build to build mips1 glibc > based stages it failed, most likely due mips1 support being bitrotten in > our toolchain.
Hmm, seriously? I think crossdev builds a mips1 toolchain by default, and it works fine. But then, that just means glibc is only optimized for mips1. Either way, the machine Jason wants to run stages on here is MIPS32, so that would be what he really wants I think. -Steve P.S. Any reason why openwrt isn't good enough? If you download the buildroot source, it cross-compiles everything for you, including a wide selection of packages of your choice that are selectable from menus. It works quite well, and is really the optimal sort of distro for these devices. Gentoo is really intended for machines with bigger nuts. -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list