From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, basile@××××××××××××××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Re: On MIPS using the same CHOST for all multilib ABIs
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:51:51
1 On Sunday 29 December 2013 18:56:14 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > so to turn your base argument around, we shouldn't be limiting Gentoo to
3 > only support CHOSTs that also select ABIs uniquely.
4
5 also worth noting: we've been severely limiting ourselves as to the full range
6 of possibilities. when we say "ABI", we've largely been focusing on the most
7 common aspect. in reality, an ABI is defined by many more features like:
8 - endian (little/big)
9 - floating point (hard/soft/etc...)
10 - ISA selection (mips1/mips2/mips3/mips4/... or i386/i486/i586/i686/... or
11 sse1/sse2/mmx/3dnow!/...)
12 there are other aspects too, but these are the obvious ones that people are
13 selecting every day. people have one toolchain which can generate code for
14 all of these things merely by flag selection, not different CHOST values. in
15 Gentoo we don't commonly support this as most people don't care, but it has
16 been done before.
17 -mike