From: "sébastien bertoletto" <sbertoletto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, basile@××××××××××××××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Re: On MIPS using the same CHOST for all multilib ABIs
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:17:11
1 Hello,
2
3 Please delete me from the list : *lists.gentoo.org
4 <http://lists.gentoo.org>*
5
6 Thanks,
9 2013/12/30 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
10
11 > On Sunday 29 December 2013 18:56:14 Mike Frysinger wrote:
12 > > so to turn your base argument around, we shouldn't be limiting Gentoo to
13 > > only support CHOSTs that also select ABIs uniquely.
14 >
15 > also worth noting: we've been severely limiting ourselves as to the full
16 > range
17 > of possibilities. when we say "ABI", we've largely been focusing on the
18 > most
19 > common aspect. in reality, an ABI is defined by many more features like:
20 > - endian (little/big)
21 > - floating point (hard/soft/etc...)
22 > - ISA selection (mips1/mips2/mips3/mips4/... or i386/i486/i586/i686/... or
23 > sse1/sse2/mmx/3dnow!/...)
24 > there are other aspects too, but these are the obvious ones that people are
25 > selecting every day. people have one toolchain which can generate code for
26 > all of these things merely by flag selection, not different CHOST values.
27 > in
28 > Gentoo we don't commonly support this as most people don't care, but it has
29 > been done before.
30 > -mike
36 Sébastien Bertoletto