From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] bootstrap.sh on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:48:53
1 Ok, there are several serious problems with what you are trying to do...
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have an asus wl500g (same chip as the linksys wrt54g).
6
7 Actually, it isn't identical, but that doesn't really matter...
8
9 > I put openwrt
10 > on it and chrooted into a
11 > experimental/mips/embedded/stages/stage1-mipsel-uclibc-2005.0.tar.bz2
12 > tarball, with the idea of changing the profile and rebuiling.
13
14 Ok, stop right here. Do you realize how little memory this device has?
15 You would be lucky to even be able to build some of the more simple
16 programs without some sort of ICE or out of memory error.
17
18 > I set up make.conf like so:
19 >
20 > CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=mips1"
21
22 You would really want -march=mips32 anyway.
23
24 > CHOST="mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu"
25 >
26 > and the profile like so:
27 >
28 > make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/mips/2005.0
29
30 That is not even close to the correct profile for uclibc. You really
31 want /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/mips
32
33 > then ran scripts/bootstrap.sh
34
35 You'll be extremely lucky if this ever works on that device...again, not
36 enough memory.
37
38 > gnuconfig had some bus errors, but didn't stop the script:
39
40 This is probably telling that you have some serious issues...
41
42 *snip*
43
44 > and glibc failed during configure:
45 >
46 > checking for suffix of object files... configure: error: cannot compute
47 > suffix of object files: cannot compile
48 > See `config.log' for more details.
49 >
50 > !!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5 failed.
51 > !!! Function glibc_do_configure, Line 938, Exitcode 1
52 > !!! failed to configure glibc
53
54 Uhhh...you realize you can't install glibc on a uclibc userland, right?
55 This is from selecting the wrong profile, aside from the fact that
56 glibc even doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of building on such a
57 device.
58
59 > any ideas? I see the mips project website was just updated today, and I
60 > just realized last night that the cobalt images are little endian (the
61 > asus wl500g is little endian), so I'll try chrooting into one of those
62 > images next.
63
64 That is an even worse idea. The cobalt stages are optimized for
65 -march=mips4, which probably won't run on that cpu. Not only that, but
66 they are glibc based, which is way too heavy to run on a wl500g
67
68 The moral of this story is, a broadcom based router is not good for
69 using gentoo in the capacity you are trying to. What you *really* want
70 to do is emerge crossdev on a nice fast box, use that to build a
71 crosstoolchain, and cross-compile a custom userland to run on your router.
72
73 -Steve
74 --
75 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list