From: Carlos Carvalho <carlos@×××××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:20:44
1 Robin H. Johnson (robbat2@g.o) wrote on Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 05:08:28AM BRST:
2 > Historically, our CVS-to-rsync process was overly enthusiastic about
3 > updating timestamps on files, even if they hadn't changed.
4 >
5 > With the new Git-to-rsync process, we've run into a few cases where the
6 > mtime is not represented with sufficiently high accuracy to catch all of
7 > the changes, and as a result changes are being missed.
8 >
9 > Can you please alter your rsync cronjobs to include --checksum in the
10 > commandline?
11
12 Huh??
13
14 Denied.
15
16 > A decade ago, we didn't include --checksum in the calls, as the CPU
17 > power available was considerably less; however systems have improved
18 > tremendously since that time.
19
20 *Sigh*
21
22 The issue is not calculating checksums, it's I/O. The gentoo repository is now
23 335GB. It's out of question to read it all at every update.
24
25 And you should know it!
26
27 Also, we block --checksum from clients. Most big mirrors do it.
28
29 Concerning storing the checksums, you're asking mirrors to use a patched rsync
30 version for gentoo? Forget it.
31
32 It's the master job to update the repository as you need. Asking mirrors to
33 bear an enormous load because you cannot do your job is silly, to put it
34 mildly. You'll be ignored by big mirrors, as you've been since your first post.
35
36 If you provide a list of checksums, like Debian does, I can use it. However I
37 know of no other mirror that has such functionality.
38
39 BTW, we're archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br, the largest free software mirror in the
40 south hemisphere and one of the largest in the world.