From: Adrian Sandor <aditsu@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o" <gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 00:32:53
1 Hi, is this for source mirrors or rsync mirrors?
2 Adrian
3
4 From: Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
5 To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
6 Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 3:08 PM
7 Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
8
9 Hi mirrors,
10
11 Historically, our CVS-to-rsync process was overly enthusiastic about
12 updating timestamps on files, even if they hadn't changed.
13
14 With the new Git-to-rsync process, we've run into a few cases where the
15 mtime is not represented with sufficiently high accuracy to catch all of
16 the changes, and as a result changes are being missed.
17
18 Can you please alter your rsync cronjobs to include --checksum in the
19 commandline? All Portage calls will be including --checksum in future as
20 well.
21
22 A decade ago, we didn't include --checksum in the calls, as the CPU
23 power available was considerably less; however systems have improved
24 tremendously since that time.
25
26 I have updated the official mirroring wiki page, and if it's been a long
27 time since you reviewed your scripts, I encourage you to review it:
28 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Mirrors/Rsync
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee
33 E-Mail    : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP  : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85