From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 16:55:34
1 On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:30:54AM +0100, Nils Holland wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 07:08:28AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >
4 > > All Portage calls will be including --checksum in future as well.
5 >
6 > Hmm, wouldn't this require that all "end-user facing" mirrors do
7 > actually support checksums as well? My own tiny little community
8 > mirror does, but I noticed the following:
9 Hmm, so they use 'refuse options = checksum compress'.
10 That is problematic, and we'll have to get mirrors to turn it off for
11 the gentoo-portage module.
12
13 If you'd like to test any given mirror, please try to fetch the file
14 gentoo-portage/metadata/.checksum-test-marker
15
16 It contains a timestamp and instructions, and I've explicitly configured
17 the mtime of the file to remain static. If the timestamp inside the file
18 isn't recent, then you know the mirror isn't using --checksum to
19 communicate with upstream somewhere [1].
20
21 [1] There is no way to detect if there was an intermediate mirror that
22 was missing checksums, or if it was the user-facing mirror itself.
25 Robin Hugh Johnson
26 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead, Foundation Trustee
27 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
28 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85