From: Nils Holland <nholland@×××××.org>
To: robbat2@g.o
Cc: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mirrors] mirror fetch jobs and --checksum
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:31:03
1 On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 07:08:28AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2
3 > All Portage calls will be including --checksum in future as well.
4
5 Hmm, wouldn't this require that all "end-user facing" mirrors do
6 actually support checksums as well? My own tiny little community
7 mirror does, but I noticed the following:
8
9 At least one of the officical German rotation mirrors from
10 rsync.de.gentoo.org, namely rsync15.de.gentoo.org (aka
11 ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, or 137.226.34.46), doesn't seem to support
12 checksums. In its MOTD it says...:
13
14 | nils@teela ~ $ rsync rsync15.de.gentoo.org::
15 | --------------------------------------------------------------
16 | The features compression (-z) and checksums (-c) are disabled.
17 |
18 | More information about this server is available via HTTP:
19 | http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/
20 | --------------------------------------------------------------
21
22 And this isn't just an outdated message, in practice I tried, as a
23 little test:
24
25 | nils@teela ~ $ rsync --recursive --links --perms --times -D --delete
26 | --timeout=300 --checksum
27 | ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de::gentoo-portage/metadata/news/ test/
28 | [...]
29 | rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
30 | rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(785)
31 | [Receiver=3.1.2]
32
33 Without --checksum, it does properly send me the contents of the news
34 directory.
35
36 Now, while I didn't test any other mirrors and thus can't say if they
37 (all) support --checksum, I can say that this particular primary
38 German rotation mirror doesn't. And if portage, in the future,
39 includes --checksum by default, then I fear people using / reaching
40 such a mirror (from a rotation) will be unable to sync as the server
41 might just abort the connection like it did in my test above.
42
43 So ... do we have a problem here?
44
45 Greetings,