From: Erwin Bronkhorst - Studenten Net Twente <erwin@×××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-mirrors] HTTPS deployments for mirrors: Potential Chrome changes; stats on the existing mirrors
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 08:54:49
1 Hello,
5 > Of the HTTP-only mirrors, I went to test if of them had working HTTPS
6 > that wasn't documented in distfiles.xml, and if not, what responses
7 > there were
11 I am a maintainer of the Gentoo mirror at ftp.snt.utwente.nl
12 <ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl> . In the distfiles.xml [1] we are listed as HTTP
13 only, but I am happy to tell you that HTTPS works as well and we are fully
14 supporting it. It this reply enough to get this fixed in the distfiles.xml,
15 or do I have to mention/fix it somewhere else?
19 Greetings,
23 Erwin Bronkhorst
24
25 SNT FTPCom
29 [1] https://api.gentoo.org/mirrors/distfiles.xml
33 Van: Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
34 Verzonden: zaterdag 13 april 2019 08:28
35 Aan: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
36 Onderwerp: [gentoo-mirrors] HTTPS deployments for mirrors: Potential Chrome
37 changes; stats on the existing mirrors
41 Hi!
42
43 Upstream Chrome is discussing a potential change that we try to block
44 users following a HTTPS->HTTP for high-risk files, including tarballs.
45 https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2019Apr/0004.html
46
47 Further below is some quick analysis I did on the state of HTTP for the
48 mirrors
49 that are presently listed only as HTTP.
50
51 In the era of LetsEncrypt, how many mirror administrators have a little time
53 add HTTPS to their mirrors, along with a cronjob to auto-refresh the
54 certificates?
55
56 The state of HTTP/HTTPS on Gentoo mirrors:
57 59 mirrors total
58 =====
59 1 HTTPS-only
60 27 HTTP+HTTPS
61 31 HTTP-only
62
63 Of the HTTP-only mirrors, only 1 is on a non-standard port.
64
65 Of the HTTP-only mirrors, I went to test if of them had working HTTPS
66 that wasn't documented in distfiles.xml, and if not, what responses
67 there were (I think I got an off-by-one try to summarize the errors).
68
69 2 200 OK
70 24 No connection: Connection refused, Connection timed out, No route to
71 host
72 3 Horrible SSL certs
73 2 SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN/The name in the certificate does not match the
74 expected, but everything else was otherwise good.
75
76 1 HTTP on port 443 (SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG)
77 ====
78 32 errors
79
80 Horrible SSL certs, error breakdown; some mirrors had MORE than one error in
81 their cert:
82 3 - SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER/The certificate issuer is unknown [1]
83 2 - The certificate chain uses insecure algorithm (RSA-SHA1)
84 3 - SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE/The certificate chain uses expired
85 certificate [2]
86 3 - SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN/The name in the certificate does not match the
87 expected.
88 1 - SEC_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_OID [3]
89
90 [1] SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER:
91 - self-signed
92 - defunct CA
93 - missing intermediate
94
95 [2] SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE:
96 Past-expiry ranges 1 month to 4 years ago!
97
98 [3] SEC_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_OID:
99 OpenSSL & GnuTLS handled this cert, but NSS failed on it.
102 Robin Hugh Johnson
103 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
104 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o <mailto:robbat2@g.o>
105 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
106 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136