From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-mirrors@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mirrors] HTTPS deployments for mirrors: Potential Chrome changes; stats on the existing mirrors
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 06:28:15
1 Hi!
2
3 Upstream Chrome is discussing a potential change that we try to block
4 users following a HTTPS->HTTP for high-risk files, including tarballs.
5 https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webappsec/2019Apr/0004.html
6
7 Further below is some quick analysis I did on the state of HTTP for the mirrors
8 that are presently listed only as HTTP.
9
10 In the era of LetsEncrypt, how many mirror administrators have a little time to
11 add HTTPS to their mirrors, along with a cronjob to auto-refresh the
12 certificates?
13
14 The state of HTTP/HTTPS on Gentoo mirrors:
15 59 mirrors total
16 =====
17 1 HTTPS-only
18 27 HTTP+HTTPS
19 31 HTTP-only
20
21 Of the HTTP-only mirrors, only 1 is on a non-standard port.
22
23 Of the HTTP-only mirrors, I went to test if of them had working HTTPS
24 that wasn't documented in distfiles.xml, and if not, what responses
25 there were (I think I got an off-by-one try to summarize the errors).
26
27 2 200 OK
28 24 No connection: Connection refused, Connection timed out, No route to host
29 3 Horrible SSL certs
30 2 SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN/The name in the certificate does not match the expected, but everything else was otherwise good.
31 1 HTTP on port 443 (SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG)
32 ====
33 32 errors
34
35 Horrible SSL certs, error breakdown; some mirrors had MORE than one error in their cert:
36 3 - SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER/The certificate issuer is unknown [1]
37 2 - The certificate chain uses insecure algorithm (RSA-SHA1)
38 3 - SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE/The certificate chain uses expired certificate [2]
39 3 - SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN/The name in the certificate does not match the expected.
40 1 - SEC_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_OID [3]
41
42 [1] SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER:
43 - self-signed
44 - defunct CA
45 - missing intermediate
46
47 [2] SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE:
48 Past-expiry ranges 1 month to 4 years ago!
49
50 [3] SEC_ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_OID:
51 OpenSSL & GnuTLS handled this cert, but NSS failed on it.
54 Robin Hugh Johnson
55 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
56 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
57 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
58 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136