From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-musl@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-musl] [GSoC] musl and x32
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 05:13:40
1 On 6/1/16 11:35 PM, Lei Zhang wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm the GSoC student working on building a clang + musl based toolchain.
5 > Previous discussions on this project happened mostly between me and my
6 > mentor Luca; but I think bringing them here may attract some constructive
7 > thoughts. So, here it goes :)
8 >
9 > Currently I'm considering introducing a new ABI type "musl" into clang, so
10 > we can build a native clang targeting "x86_64-linux-musl". But I notice
11 > there's also an ABI type specifically for x32, named "gnux32". Then what
12 > about musl on a x32 platform? Should I name it "muslx32" or something? I
13 > don't know why x86 and x86_64 can live with the same ABI name, while x32
14 > can't...
15 >
16 > Thoughts?
19 > Lei
22 1) i tried x32 + musl + gcc and ran into quite a few issues and gave up.
23 i don't recall what those issues are right now, but they were basically
24 lost of compile time breakage of packages. since i'm not a big fan of
25 x32 i didn't put a lot of effort in and when i saw it was a steep climb,
26 i had bigger fish to fry.
27
28 2) i don't know what you mean by "should i name it muslx32". what is
29 the "it" in your sentence? if its the the toolchain tuple, that should
30 not contain the abi name in it because a given toolchain is able to emit
31 different abis. for example gcc on x86_64 architecture can produce
32 three abis (if the corresponding libc's are available): gcc -m32, gcc
33 -m64, gcc -mx32
34
35 3) x32 is a 64-bit abi which limits the address space to 4G = 2^32. it
36 is supposed to reduce memory footprint and run faster, but i'm not
37 convinced it makes much difference in practice. this for me is offset
38 by the fact that a smaller address space means weaker ASLR. exploits
39 that depend on knowing the addresses of functions or pointers or other
40 data object in memory will have less space to explore when brute
41 forcing. so i'm not a fan of x32.
45 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
46 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
47 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
48 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
49 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA