From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 03:29:38
1 On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:18 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On 06/01/17 02:50, Rich Freeman wrote [excerpted]:
3 >> I completely support having foreign legal entities if they provide
4 >> some benefit and somebody is actually willing to do the work needed to
5 >> sustain them (and assuming we can afford it if it costs money).
6 >> However, for as hard as it is for us to stay on top of the US
7 >> paperwork, from what I understand the US is actually one of the easier
8 >> countries to incorporate in.
9 >>
10 >> When it comes to the financial side of things I really don't have a
11 >> super-strong personal opinion as to where we should be based. I think
12 >> it should be wherever makes the most sense. It probably shouldn't try
13 >> to chase wherever the latest board members happen to live.
14 >>
15 >> If we're going to bother having trademarks and copyrights, then I do
16 >> think that it makes sense to at least hold them in the US, though that
17 >> doesn't preclude holding them in other places as well.
18 >>
19 > From what I do know about UK practice, it costs nothing to set up a
20 > charity in the UK, and even the new CIO structure which another
21 > voluntary organisation I belong to has done. Also, under a certain
22 > annual sum, the accounting requirements are fairly minimal too, and can
23 > be prepared by hand; for a CIO I think this has to be signed-off by an
24 > accountant though. So the financial burden to Gentoo as a whole would be
25 > financially quite small if there happened to be. say. three or four
26 > people happy to sign up in the UK. Not that I'm saying this is a
27 > suggestion even, just an example for which I can quote rough figures.
28 >
29 > Regarding protection of assets, sure, having seen the chaos that Arduino
30 > vs Arduino caused (its an amusing if sad story...) if, again, the aims
31 > of the collective organisations are common, there should only be
32 > enhanced protection by extending it across the globe. I'm not sure what
33 > potential, for example, there might be in the Eastern 'block' .. perhaps
34 > alicef might be able to shed some light on that. But all ideas I think
35 > should be thrown on the table, and a serious discussion about the pros
36 > and cons could then be had. Where the pros outweight the cons, we can
37 > then look at planning and taking some action. I'm not saying that there
38 > won't be an administrative burden, but perhaps one that could be better
39 > born by those outside the US perhaps.
40 >
41 > If it becomes relevant and/or necessary, we can always set up a Project
42 > under the new structure to handle these kinds of things .. similar to
43 > what the Foundation currently accomplishes. It could then have a broad
44 > membership to take account of the different requirements it may cover. I
45 > can't speak for other distro's or organisations, but this could be quite
46 > a unique asset and "selling point" for Gentoo itself.
49 It is a lot to quote, but I'll still do it to say:
50 ++
51
52 Ultimately interest in making it happen is likely to be the
53 rate-limiting step, but if there is interest you've basically outlined
54 the general way to go about it.
57 Rich