From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 03:18:47
1 On 06/01/17 02:50, Rich Freeman wrote [excerpted]:
2 > I completely support having foreign legal entities if they provide
3 > some benefit and somebody is actually willing to do the work needed to
4 > sustain them (and assuming we can afford it if it costs money).
5 > However, for as hard as it is for us to stay on top of the US
6 > paperwork, from what I understand the US is actually one of the easier
7 > countries to incorporate in.
8 >
9 > When it comes to the financial side of things I really don't have a
10 > super-strong personal opinion as to where we should be based. I think
11 > it should be wherever makes the most sense. It probably shouldn't try
12 > to chase wherever the latest board members happen to live.
13 >
14 > If we're going to bother having trademarks and copyrights, then I do
15 > think that it makes sense to at least hold them in the US, though that
16 > doesn't preclude holding them in other places as well.
17 >
18 From what I do know about UK practice, it costs nothing to set up a
19 charity in the UK, and even the new CIO structure which another
20 voluntary organisation I belong to has done. Also, under a certain
21 annual sum, the accounting requirements are fairly minimal too, and can
22 be prepared by hand; for a CIO I think this has to be signed-off by an
23 accountant though. So the financial burden to Gentoo as a whole would be
24 financially quite small if there happened to be. say. three or four
25 people happy to sign up in the UK. Not that I'm saying this is a
26 suggestion even, just an example for which I can quote rough figures.
27
28 Regarding protection of assets, sure, having seen the chaos that Arduino
29 vs Arduino caused (its an amusing if sad story...) if, again, the aims
30 of the collective organisations are common, there should only be
31 enhanced protection by extending it across the globe. I'm not sure what
32 potential, for example, there might be in the Eastern 'block' .. perhaps
33 alicef might be able to shed some light on that. But all ideas I think
34 should be thrown on the table, and a serious discussion about the pros
35 and cons could then be had. Where the pros outweight the cons, we can
36 then look at planning and taking some action. I'm not saying that there
37 won't be an administrative burden, but perhaps one that could be better
38 born by those outside the US perhaps.
39
40 If it becomes relevant and/or necessary, we can always set up a Project
41 under the new structure to handle these kinds of things .. similar to
42 what the Foundation currently accomplishes. It could then have a broad
43 membership to take account of the different requirements it may cover. I
44 can't speak for other distro's or organisations, but this could be quite
45 a unique asset and "selling point" for Gentoo itself.