From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:53:07
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:18 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 2019.07.13 13:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
4 > > Team,
5 > >
6 > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation
7 > > Trustee Candidates together.
8 >
9 > We have several candidates with a declared platform of dissolving
10 > the Gentoo foundation.
11 >
12 > 1. Will all candidates make their position on the future of the Foundation
13 > clear.
16 I plan to dissolve the Foundation. I would prefer the assets go to an
17 umbrella, but I'm also open to other options.
21 > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
22 > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
25 The Foundation has three main problems:
26
27 - It needs a minimum of three capable / interested trustees to be on the
28 board and operate the Foundation. Note here i don't mean that these three
29 humans do the work (because they should contract with professionals to do
30 much of it.) I'm not convinced there are three people to do it. In this
31 election we have 4 humans for 3 slots. When discussing with the current
32 board, half of the board doesn't even want to be on the board; but without
33 a board the Foundation would be in trouble. This is not the kind of board
34 that I would want to have, and I think its one reason why the work the
35 board is accountable for rarely happens. This is not unique to this year.
36 In previous years; boards that did not even do basic Foundation activities
37 (e.g. taxes, accounting, etc.) *and* ran unopposed (e.g. some years there
38 was no election.)
39
40 - The members themselves don't hold anyone accountable. Basically this
41 follows the last piece of the first bullet; that the board can basically be
42 bad at their job and keep their seats trivially. The members are supposed
43 to care about the board's mission (to support Gentoo!) but in fact most
44 members do nothing and vote once a year when asked (like now!) I suspect if
45 a potato was put on the ballot the members would vote for that as a trustee
46 if it filled a seat; because they don't care about the foundation working
47 correctly or not provided it continues to fund Infra (nominally one of two
48 useful things the Foundation actually does.)
49
50 - The scope of work done by the Foundation during it's 15 years is minimal
51 (trademark defense and funding) and I believe an umbrella organization can
52 do both. I concede it limits future options (because once we give assets to
53 the umbrella they can only do what is in any agreement we sign.) However,
54 its a risk I'm willing to take given the poor performance of the Foundation
55 in the past (and the anticipated poor performance in the future; see first
56 two points.)
57
58 -A
61 > --