From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 14:40:39
1 On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 07:52:53AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:18 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 2019.07.13 13:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 > > > Team,
6 > > >
7 > > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation
8 > > > Trustee Candidates together.
9 > >
10 > > We have several candidates with a declared platform of dissolving
11 > > the Gentoo foundation.
12 > >
13 > > 1. Will all candidates make their position on the future of the Foundation
14 > > clear.
17 > I plan to dissolve the Foundation. I would prefer the assets go to an
18 > umbrella, but I'm also open to other options.
22 > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
23 > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the Foundation.
26 > The Foundation has three main problems:
27 >
28 > - It needs a minimum of three capable / interested trustees to be on the
29 > board and operate the Foundation. Note here i don't mean that these three
30 > humans do the work (because they should contract with professionals to do
31 > much of it.) I'm not convinced there are three people to do it. In this
32 > election we have 4 humans for 3 slots. When discussing with the current
33 > board, half of the board doesn't even want to be on the board; but without
34 > a board the Foundation would be in trouble. This is not the kind of board
35 > that I would want to have, and I think its one reason why the work the
36 > board is accountable for rarely happens. This is not unique to this year.
37 > In previous years; boards that did not even do basic Foundation activities
38 > (e.g. taxes, accounting, etc.) *and* ran unopposed (e.g. some years there
39 > was no election.)
42 Can you explain why you ran for election on the platform of dissolving the
43 foundation, in favor of an umbrella, but have not conducted any research into
44 what is required to do so? Presented any definitive options, figures, impacts,
45 etc to the electorate?
46
47 Is this why you voluntarily put yourself up for re-election during the current
48 cycle?
49
50 > - The members themselves don't hold anyone accountable. Basically this
51 > follows the last piece of the first bullet; that the board can basically be
52 > bad at their job and keep their seats trivially. The members are supposed
53 > to care about the board's mission (to support Gentoo!) but in fact most
54 > members do nothing and vote once a year when asked (like now!) I suspect if
55 > a potato was put on the ballot the members would vote for that as a trustee
56 > if it filled a seat; because they don't care about the foundation working
57 > correctly or not provided it continues to fund Infra (nominally one of two
58 > useful things the Foundation actually does.)
61 This can be fixed by proper by-laws, but the board has failed to adopt any
62 reasonable by-laws to make forward progress. Also, I think a bit of
63 transparency from the board would result in our sister nations understanding why
64 by-laws and Articles of Incorporation are important.
65
66 Many understand the significance of a GLEP, but do not neccasarily understand
67 the importance/role of by-laws and AoI.
68
69 Additionally, I do believe members and devs know the Foundation "holds the
70 purse" as they have seen from the purchase of the Nitrokeys to support their
71 mission.
72
73 > - The scope of work done by the Foundation during it's 15 years is minimal
74 > (trademark defense and funding) and I believe an umbrella organization can
75 > do both. I concede it limits future options (because once we give assets to
76 > the umbrella they can only do what is in any agreement we sign.) However,
77 > its a risk I'm willing to take given the poor performance of the Foundation
78 > in the past (and the anticipated poor performance in the future; see first
79 > two points.)
80 >
81 > -A
84 c.f my statement above and consider the performance during this cycle.
85
86 Overall, each individual has simply pointed out the financial failures of the
87 foundation... which I agree with. However, dissolution has many more
88 potential ramifications than benefits.
89
90 The majority of failures can simply be fixed by retaining a CPA.
93 > > --
94 > > Regards,
95 > >
96 > > Roy Bamford