From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 17:04:41
1 On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 7:40 AM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 07:52:53AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 5:18 AM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > On 2019.07.13 13:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
8 > > > > Team,
9 > > > >
10 > > > > This is a meta topic to collect Questions For Gentoo Foundation
11 > > > > Trustee Candidates together.
12 > > >
13 > > > We have several candidates with a declared platform of dissolving
14 > > > the Gentoo foundation.
15 > > >
16 > > > 1. Will all candidates make their position on the future of the
17 > Foundation
18 > > > clear.
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > I plan to dissolve the Foundation. I would prefer the assets go to an
22 > > umbrella, but I'm also open to other options.
25 > > >
26 > > > 2. Will all candidates explain the reasoning supporting their position
27 > > > on their future plans for the existence (or otherwise) of the
28 > Foundation.
29 > > >
30 > >
31 > > The Foundation has three main problems:
32 > >
33 > > - It needs a minimum of three capable / interested trustees to be on the
34 > > board and operate the Foundation. Note here i don't mean that these three
35 > > humans do the work (because they should contract with professionals to do
36 > > much of it.) I'm not convinced there are three people to do it. In this
37 > > election we have 4 humans for 3 slots. When discussing with the current
38 > > board, half of the board doesn't even want to be on the board; but
39 > without
40 > > a board the Foundation would be in trouble. This is not the kind of board
41 > > that I would want to have, and I think its one reason why the work the
42 > > board is accountable for rarely happens. This is not unique to this year.
43 > > In previous years; boards that did not even do basic Foundation
44 > activities
45 > > (e.g. taxes, accounting, etc.) *and* ran unopposed (e.g. some years there
46 > > was no election.)
49 > Can you explain why you ran for election on the platform of dissolving the
50 > foundation, in favor of an umbrella, but have not conducted any research
51 > into
52 > what is required to do so? Presented any definitive options, figures,
53 > impacts,
54 > etc to the electorate?
57 The electorate doesn't care about the details of the foundation. Of the
58 80-odd members, ~30 of them will vote.
59 There are 4 people running and 3 seats, so it doesn't take much to get
60 elected (as noted earlier in the thread.)
61
62 I'm happy to share a proposal at a later date.
66 > Is this why you voluntarily put yourself up for re-election during the
67 > current
68 > cycle?
71 I'm not sure what 'this' is referring to, but I agreed with Robin's premise
72 which was that if Robin and I stepped aside mid-term it would free up more
73 seats and we might have a more vigorous election (as opposed to the usual,
74 which is we win by running unopposed.) I also bought into his argument that
75 it would be a great opportunity to sweep the board. Three open seats meant
76 that if a faction of Gentoo wanted to take control of the Foundation they
77 simply needed to find and elect three people and those people would have a
78 board majority.
79
80 The outcome was 4 candidates for 3 seats, so we get to have an election
81 (good!) but still pretty minimal participation from the community :/
85 > > - The members themselves don't hold anyone accountable. Basically this
86 > > follows the last piece of the first bullet; that the board can basically
87 > be
88 > > bad at their job and keep their seats trivially. The members are supposed
89 > > to care about the board's mission (to support Gentoo!) but in fact most
90 > > members do nothing and vote once a year when asked (like now!) I suspect
91 > if
92 > > a potato was put on the ballot the members would vote for that as a
93 > trustee
94 > > if it filled a seat; because they don't care about the foundation working
95 > > correctly or not provided it continues to fund Infra (nominally one of
96 > two
97 > > useful things the Foundation actually does.)
100 > This can be fixed by proper by-laws, but the board has failed to adopt any
101 > reasonable by-laws to make forward progress. Also, I think a bit of
102 > transparency from the board would result in our sister nations
103 > understanding why
104 > by-laws and Articles of Incorporation are important.
105 >
106 > Many understand the significance of a GLEP, but do not neccasarily
107 > understand
108 > the importance/role of by-laws and AoI.
109 >
110 > Additionally, I do believe members and devs know the Foundation "holds the
111 > purse" as they have seen from the purchase of the Nitrokeys to support
112 > their
113 > mission.
114 >
115 > > - The scope of work done by the Foundation during it's 15 years is
116 > minimal
117 > > (trademark defense and funding) and I believe an umbrella organization
118 > can
119 > > do both. I concede it limits future options (because once we give assets
121 > > the umbrella they can only do what is in any agreement we sign.) However,
122 > > its a risk I'm willing to take given the poor performance of the
123 > Foundation
124 > > in the past (and the anticipated poor performance in the future; see
125 > first
126 > > two points.)
127 > >
128 > > -A
131 > c.f my statement above and consider the performance during this cycle.
132 >
133 > Overall, each individual has simply pointed out the financial failures of
134 > the
135 > foundation... which I agree with. However, dissolution has many more
136 > potential ramifications than benefits.
137 >
138 > The majority of failures can simply be fixed by retaining a CPA.
141 If I was convinced we had the support of the community and a board to run
142 the Foundation for the next 10 years (retaining a CPA, doing other required
143 duties) I'd not dissolve the Foundation at all. However, I'm not convinced
144 of that. You might ask "what would it take to convince me" and the answer
145 is likely more community participation in board matters, elections, etc.
146 You are one human; but it will take more than one to do this job.
151 > > > --
152 > > > Regards,
153 > > >
154 > > > Roy Bamford