From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 15:12:42
1 On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 09:34 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 19-07-03 09:08:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Are you aware if the fee is going to be the same if we
5 > > > go for proper non-profit?
6 > >
7 > > Do you mean 501c3 by "proper non-profit?" Or some other tax-exempt status?
8 > >
9 > > I think most around here have abandoned all hope of ever running our
10 > > own 501c3. A number don't even think we should try, and a 501c3 is
11 > > hard enough to get approved if you have a professional board all
12 > > towing the party line. If you get people making public statements
13 > > like we ought to be a trade association (which is non-exempt) it would
14 > > be even harder.
15 > >
16 > > However, I imagine most CPAs would charge more for a tax-exempt org as
17 > > there is MUCH more scrutiny on their operations. I'd also argue that
18 > > we would need to be spending more on compliance in general or
19 > > consulting ad-hoc with professionals to not run afoul of the law.
20 > >
21 > > If you meant a non-profit that isn't tax-exempt then I don't see why
22 > > their fees would be any different, but there really isn't any big tax
23 > > benefit to Gentoo to having one status or another as far as I can
24 > > tell. The IRS taxes non-profits the same as for-profit companies if
25 > > they aren't tax-exempt. It is the exempt status that comes with all
26 > > the rules and scrutiny.
27 > >
28 > > Usually in the US when people say "non-profit" they tend to mean a
29 > > tax-exempt status like 501c3, but these are of course not the only
30 > > sorts of non-profit companies. The US National Football League (the
31 > > kind where you usually don't hit the ball with your foot) is
32 > > non-profit, but definitely not tax-exempt, and I can only imagine what
33 > > their revenues are like.
36 > The fees remain the same for a c3 (1500 per year). We've talked to the
37 > Accounting firm about our options in attaining c3 status. There are a
38 > couple of ways we could go about it. Filing fee remains the same (~1k
39 > iirc) for all options.
40 >
41 > 1. fix all back taxes (10 years) then refile, this would cost 9k more
42 > for the back taxes alone (4 years was recently approved).
45 Plus $15000 in CPA fees, correct? Or do we assume a different fee for
46 that part?
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny