From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation - Treasurer Response!
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 14:34:36
1 On 19-07-03 09:08:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Are you aware if the fee is going to be the same if we
5 > > go for proper non-profit?
6 >
7 > Do you mean 501c3 by "proper non-profit?" Or some other tax-exempt status?
8 >
9 > I think most around here have abandoned all hope of ever running our
10 > own 501c3. A number don't even think we should try, and a 501c3 is
11 > hard enough to get approved if you have a professional board all
12 > towing the party line. If you get people making public statements
13 > like we ought to be a trade association (which is non-exempt) it would
14 > be even harder.
15 >
16 > However, I imagine most CPAs would charge more for a tax-exempt org as
17 > there is MUCH more scrutiny on their operations. I'd also argue that
18 > we would need to be spending more on compliance in general or
19 > consulting ad-hoc with professionals to not run afoul of the law.
20 >
21 > If you meant a non-profit that isn't tax-exempt then I don't see why
22 > their fees would be any different, but there really isn't any big tax
23 > benefit to Gentoo to having one status or another as far as I can
24 > tell. The IRS taxes non-profits the same as for-profit companies if
25 > they aren't tax-exempt. It is the exempt status that comes with all
26 > the rules and scrutiny.
27 >
28 > Usually in the US when people say "non-profit" they tend to mean a
29 > tax-exempt status like 501c3, but these are of course not the only
30 > sorts of non-profit companies. The US National Football League (the
31 > kind where you usually don't hit the ball with your foot) is
32 > non-profit, but definitely not tax-exempt, and I can only imagine what
33 > their revenues are like.
36 The fees remain the same for a c3 (1500 per year). We've talked to the
37 Accounting firm about our options in attaining c3 status. There are a
38 couple of ways we could go about it. Filing fee remains the same (~1k
39 iirc) for all options.
40
41 1. fix all back taxes (10 years) then refile, this would cost 9k more
42 for the back taxes alone (4 years was recently approved).
43
44 2. close the foundation and reform / refile as a c3. Old foundation
45 donates all money to the new foundation. This is what was suggested for
46 us to do, would be cheaper and give us both a fresh start, and would
47 give us the best chance of attaining c3 status.
48
49 3. Like 2, but with an umbrella (not something that's actively being
50 pursued). If we wish to go down this route, attaining (2) would likely
51 increase the chances of an umbrella taking us in.
54 Personally I like option 2 or possibly 3 (depending on details).
57 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)