From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] 2019 Gentoo Foundation Trustee Election & Annual General Meeting
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 23:40:04
1 On Sat, Jul 06, 2019 at 11:50:38AM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > Robin, would you please share your opinion on the direction you would like to
3 > see the Foundation go? That is, are you in favor of an umbrella or maintaining
4 > a 501c3 for the Foundation? Combination of the two?
5
6 This is only for AFTER the present IRS needs (4 years) are fixed, as I
7 believe some Umbrellas will not even talk to us until then.
8
9 My first preference would be that we are merged into an Umbrella
10 organization, if we can find one that is acceptable to all parties.
11 - compatible with our social contract
12 - doesn't stumble that Gentoo provides ways to install non-free stuff
13 (this might rule out some libre-oriented Umbrella, e.g. FSF)
14 - able to accept a project the size of Gentoo (both in terms of manpower
15 & financial scale [per my discussion on unbalanced donations on the
16 501(c)3 tests])
17 - Not so large that we're inconsequential to the Umbrella (e.g. Linux
18 Foundation)
19 - The umbrella doesn't have to be a 501(c)3 specifically, I personally
20 feel that joining the other 501(c)* umbrellas should be considered on
21 their merits. The benefit of donations to us being a tax credit to the
22 donors should be considered VERY far below the other requirements.
23
24 If we CANNOT find any Umbrella, then we should carefully weigh the costs
25 of a new 501(c)6 specifically vs the costs of the extra 6 years of IRS
26 filings. (read: somebody should start a wiki page doing this! not me)
27
28 I do NOT believe that we should attempt to run a 501(c)3 ourselves, the
29 trustees have time constraints on the 501(c)6 scale: The additional
30 burden that would be imposed in running a 501(c)3 would be the
31 proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.
32
33 I also do not believe that we should entirely outsource the running of a
34 501(c)3: but partial outsourcing SHOULD be considered.
35
36 > If maintaining a foundation, how do you propose the financials are taken care of
37 > in the future?
38 Contract service from the SFC to aid in book-keeping.
41 Robin Hugh Johnson
42 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
43 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
44 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
45 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136